Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2015/04/30 13:04:21 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC1

Hi,

the first release candidate of Apache UIMA Ruta v2.3.0 is ready for voting.

Summary of changes:

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
- Requires Java 7
- Maven Plugin for UIMA Ruta
- Extensions and simplifications of the language (external resources,
null values, more syntactic sugar)
- Improvements to Analysis Engines (RutaEngine, HtmlConverter)
- More exemplary script projects
- Many, many bug fixes

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
- Requires Java 7
- Works now also in other project structures (Maven projects)
- Bug fixes

This release requires an update of script projects and its descriptors,
e.g, in the UIMA Ruta Workbench by deleting all descriptors and updating
the script project.
Right-click on a project and select "UIMA Ruta -> Convert to UIMA Ruta
project"

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1050/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/tags/ruta-2.3.0

Update site:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/ruta-2.3.0-rc1/eclipse-update-site/ruta

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/ruta-2.3.0-rc1/ruta-2.3.0-source-release.zip

Overall 67 issues have been fixed for this release.
They can be found in the RELEASE_NOTES.html.

... and here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.3.0ruta%20AND%20component%20%3D%20ruta%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Thanks Marshall :-)

comments below...

Am 08.05.2015 um 15:30 schrieb Marshall Schor:
> spot check staging repo ruta-core - OK
>
> source release, ruta-core jar ruta-core-javadoc, ruta-core-sources from staging
> repo: sig OK  (Do try and get key into the trusted-ring of Apache).

Yes. I missed the chance to get my key signed by thilo in dublin and I
don't know when I will meet again someone from the trusted ring. At
least Richard and I signed others keys signed some time ago, so the
chances are doubled :-)

> build from sources OK
>
> Issues fixed: label is "JIRA-Bericht"  instead of JIRA-Report and headers are
> in German, also (e.g. Schlüssel ) (not a blocker, though)
> Issues fixed: number of issues matches (if you exclude the "Won't Fix" category)
> - OK

Doh. I created the rc at work with a new build machine and totally
forgot about the language setting for maven.

> compare w/ source - OK
>
> The Eclipse plugins are unsigned.  We now have the ability to officially sign
> these, so at some point we should update our build process for Eclipse plugins
> to sign them :-)  [Not a blocker]

Is it already available for us? Great :-)

> Eclipse plugins - installed OK into 4.2.2.  I did notice that the plugins have
> no eclipse-style help - something perhaps for the future.  [not a blocker]

I'll create an issue for it.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
OK, thanks. -Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
compared svn-tag with source-release - OK (only the usual diff and some
.project files for script projects)
del .m2/../uima, mvn clean install svn-tag - OK
del .m2/../uima, mvn clean install source-release - OK

checked some NOTICE/LICENSE files - OK
checked some signatures - OK

installed workbench in luna sr2 with uima features present - OK
created project and tested a simple script - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

Peter

Re: [VOTE][CANCEL] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

I found a small but nasty bug in the AST grammar of the IDE, which is a
real blocker.

I have to cancel this vote and will create a new rc.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I plan on getting to this today :-)

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 11.05.2015, at 09:41, Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> wrote:

>> Some examples contain a NOTICE/LICENSE file, others not - why?
>
> This could be a problem.
>
> Before this rc, only UIMA Ruta projects (which are not built with maven)
> contained these files. We had some discussion some time ago that these
> project do not contain these files. I don't know if it is really
> necessary (since they are only accessed as source and build no
> artifacts) but it didn't hurt to add them. The only maven project
> project ruta-ep-example-extensions specifies ruta-parent as parent und
> thus should copy these files when built.
>
> Now there are some more projects that do not contain these files:
> ruta-maven-example is a maven project, but specifies no parent at all
> (files won't be copied). ruta-tutorial-GermanNovels is a some sort of
> LaTeX project. No artifacts will be distributed for both project so I
> hope that this could maybe not be a blocker?

Since there is a LICENSE file covering the whole distro, I think the
files in the individual examples are redundant and not necessary - unless
the examples would not be ASL of course.

>> Questions - Should the "TM" be for "Apache UIMA" or "Apache UIMA Ruta"?
>
> Good question. I also thought about it and we should probably start to
> use it for Ruta. Did you notice any legal concerns when you introduced
> it for uimaFIT? Should it be Apache UIMA (TM) Ruta (TM), which looks a
> bit strange, or could we use Apache UIMA Ruta (TM)?

What I gathered from keeping my ear to the ground regarding trademark
issues was that:

1) we should attach "tm" to those things that we care about because
   only active use establishes the trademark

2) if we cared, we could ask the foundation to register a trademark

I do not remember anybody complaining about using Apache uimaFIT (tm)
at any point.

>> The Spring JARs contain some sections in their LICENSE files not replicated in the LICENSE of the distribution / ruta engine JAR. These sections might not apply, but I wonder if anybody really checked if they do not apply. The Spring guys might just have copied stuff e.g. from ASM into Spring and spring-asm is in fact part of the ruta engine JAR. Sorry if this might have been discussed/observed before.
>
> Hmm, yes, there was a discussion, but I do not remember the details
> right now. We had some iterations and, afterwards, I was quite confident
> that the license file is correct. Maybe I even removed the mention again
> after the discussion. The dependency first came with uimaFIT. How did
> you handle it in the license file?

Most of the uimaFIT license files do not contain these extra statements
from the Spring JARs - because they do not contain code / binaries
from the Spring JARs. The uimaFIT distro comes with a separate license
file which contains these extra parts as the distro contains some
Spring libraries.

>> README file is still mentioning "uimaFIT JCasGenPomFriendly" - should be
>> upgraded to the Apache UIMA jcasgen-maven-plugin.
>
> Some people could still use the old variant, but I asume that the
> problem (double classes) could also occur with the maven plugin, right?

The README tells us how to remove a problem, but not why it is caused ;)
It looks like you are asking the use to only exclude Java files for the
built-in Ruta types, not for any generated Ruta types. Is that correct?
If so, couldn't the use tell the jcasgen-maven-plugin to avoid generating
JCas classes for these in the first place, e.g. using either
the "limitToProject" option or "typeSystemExcludes"?

Additional issue:

Link to the README in the previous release notes is dead:

http://uima.apache.org/d/ruta-2.2.1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA Ruta 2.3.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

first of all: thanks for reviewing :-)

comments below...

Am 10.05.2015 um 22:19 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:
> Some intermediate results and questions:
>
> Build from sources using clean repo and Oracle Java 1.8.0_45-b14 (without apache-release) - OK
>
> Build from sources using clean repo and Oracle Java 1.8.0_45-b14 (with apache-release) - JavaDoc does not build (not critical)

I used Java 7 for the release. I will try to reproduce it with Java 8

> German month in docs - not critial
>
> Example breaking out page boundary (PDF page 61) - not critical

I will take care of it.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.