Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jonathan Carlson <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2001/10/11 01:13:31 UTC

newapp question

Three newbie questions:

===========================
1) I just got the example app (newapp) running with MySQL.  I started
playing with the example app and noticed an error occurs when changing
the name of a role or group.  Can anyone explain this error?

[Wed Oct 10 17:33:35 CDT 2001] -- ERROR --
    Exception:  java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
    Stack Trace follows:
    java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
org.apache.turbine.util.security.UnknownEntityException: The specified
role does not exist
    at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.BaseSecurityService.getRole(BaseSecurityService.java:577)
    at
org.apache.turbine.services.security.TurbineSecurity.getRole(TurbineSecurity.java:560)
    at
org.apache.turbine.flux.modules.actions.role.FluxRoleAction.doUpdate(FluxRoleAction.java:112)

============================
2) I noticed in the log that this message is printed:

[Wed Oct 10 17:30:14 CDT 2001] -- WARN -- IDBroker is being used with
db: default
 which does not support transactions.  It is possible to
 generate duplicate keys, if multiple JVM's are used or other
 means are used to write to the database.

Does this just mean that I don't have transactions defined in MySQL or
is there something I can do in the properties files to change this?

============================
3) Does anyone have plusses/minuses (pros-cons) they can share about
using MySQL "atomic" operations under Turbine instead of transactions?
 i.e. CanTurbine/Torque generate MySQL code in such a way as to support
"atomic" updates or is that something I would need to hard-code?  (Is
the coding of atomic operations more difficult and less safe than using
transactions?)

Thanks much in advance!

Jonathan Carlson
joncrlsn@users.sf.net

Re: newapp question

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 10/10/01 7:13 PM, "Jonathan Carlson" <jo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Three newbie questions:
>
> ===========================
> 1) I just got the example app (newapp) running with MySQL.  I started
> playing with the example app and noticed an error occurs when changing
> the name of a role or group.  Can anyone explain this error?

The name of the role and group is a the unique indentifier so you can't
change it. You must delete it and recreate right now. In the future it would
be nice to have surrogate but right now you can't change the name of a
security entity.

> [Wed Oct 10 17:33:35 CDT 2001] -- ERROR --
>   Exception:  java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>   Stack Trace follows:
>   java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
> org.apache.turbine.util.security.UnknownEntityException: The specified
> role does not exist
>   at
> org.apache.turbine.services.security.BaseSecurityService.getRole(BaseSecurityS
> ervice.java:577)
>   at
> org.apache.turbine.services.security.TurbineSecurity.getRole(TurbineSecurity.j
> ava:560)
>   at
> org.apache.turbine.flux.modules.actions.role.FluxRoleAction.doUpdate(FluxRoleA
> ction.java:112)
>   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
>
> ============================
> 2) I noticed in the log that this message is printed:
>
> [Wed Oct 10 17:30:14 CDT 2001] -- WARN -- IDBroker is being used with
> db: default
> which does not support transactions.  It is possible to
> generate duplicate keys, if multiple JVM's are used or other
> means are used to write to the database.
>
> Does this just mean that I don't have transactions defined in MySQL or
> is there something I can do in the properties files to change this?
>
> ============================
> 3) Does anyone have plusses/minuses (pros-cons) they can share about
> using MySQL "atomic" operations under Turbine instead of transactions?
> i.e. CanTurbine/Torque generate MySQL code in such a way as to support
> "atomic" updates or is that something I would need to hard-code?  (Is
> the coding of atomic operations more difficult and less safe than using
> transactions?)
>

> Thanks much in advance!
>
> Jonathan Carlson
> joncrlsn@users.sf.net