Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@apache.org> on 2015/04/23 16:33:35 UTC

Re: Apache Maven & ANT - VPAT

I cannot imagine how anyone could expect a command-line tool for software
developers to be relevant to 508. We've never considered the question for
Maven and I don't think that we ever will. You might look into how people
treat, for example, 'make' as an model.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 9:34 AM, <am...@accenture.com> wrote:

>  Hi Apache Team – Apache Maven & ANT are 2 products being used by
> Accenture for a client project. We need your assistance in verifying the
> VPAT status for these 2 products.
>

> I found the below statement in the community discussion area. Can you
> confirm this is correct and VPAT does not actually apply to Apache? Below I
> have also included a brief description of the U.S Federal VPAT purpose.
>

> "Apache doesn't have anything to do with the accessibility. It just
> provides the web pages which can be accessible or not accessible at all.508
> compliance applies to a site (or a page), not to a server.”
>

> *The purpose of the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template, or VPAT, is
> to assist Federal contracting officials and other buyers in making
> preliminary assessments regarding the availability of commercial
> “Electronic and Information Technology” products and services with features
> that support accessibility. *
>

> *The Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) is a document which
> evaluates how accessible a particular product is according to the Section
> 508 Standards. It is a self-disclosing document produced by the vendor
> which details each aspect of the Section 508 requirements and how the
> product supports each criteria.*
>

> *Amber Akins*
>
> *Client & Sales Support*
>
> *Accenture - Alliance Services*
>
> *e-mail:  amber.l.akins@accenture.com <am...@accenture.com>*
>
> *Phone: 678-657-2250 <678-657-2250>*
>
> *Fax: **678-657-0043 <678-657-0043>*
>

> ------------------------------

> original. Any other use of the e-mail by you is prohibited. Where allowed
> by local law, electronic communications with Accenture and its affiliates,
> including e-mail and instant messaging (including content), may be scanned
> by our systems for the purposes of information security and assessment of
> internal compliance with Accenture policy.

> www.accenture.com

Re: Apache Maven & ANT - VPAT

Posted by tr...@stratuscom.com.
Seems reasonable to ask how accessible the website / documents are, though.

Greg Trasuk

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Re: Apache Maven & ANT - VPAT

Posted by Jim Klo <ji...@sri.com>.
Actually there may be some relevance.

There are some services that could be used to automate 508 and other A11y compliance. For example, you could execute a workflow during the test phase that validates content against the IDI Web Accessibility Checker (http://achecker.ca/checker/index.php <http://achecker.ca/checker/index.php> and https://github.com/inclusive-design/AChecker <https://github.com/inclusive-design/AChecker>). But in this case maven doesn’t really have any direct connection to validating 508 - it’s just a tool that coordinates some other service as part of a larger workflow.

Aside from specific modules that generate web content (such as Javadoc) that is likely the extent to which 508 would apply.

This same statement would apply to really any configuration management solution like Maven (CMake, Gradle, Ivy, etc).