Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> on 2005/04/11 18:59:59 UTC

Wrapping a Request (was Re: Tomcat user 'roles' question)

Bill Barker wrote:
> You could use a Valve, but it sounds like for what you want, you could
> simply wrap the HttpServletRequest in your Filter with a wrapper that
> overrides isUserInRole.

Wrapping the request sounds like a good way to go, but I'm on Tomcat 4.1 and
the HttpRequestWrapper appears to be deprecated without suggesting a
replacement:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/connector/HttpRequestWrapper.html

Should I use something else?

--
Wendy Smoak

Re: Wrapping a Request (was Re: Tomcat user 'roles' question)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
(Apologies for the repost a minute ago... wrong button.)

From: "Wendy Smoak" <ja...@wendysmoak.com>
> Wrapping the request sounds like a good way to go, but I'm on Tomcat 4.1
and
> the HttpRequestWrapper appears to be deprecated without suggesting a
> replacement:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/connector/HttpRequestWrapper.html

> Should I use something else?

Apparently...
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequestWrapper.html

So, in my Filter, I have:
      HttpServletRequestWrapper wrappedRequest = new MyRequestWrapper(
request );
      chain.doFilter( wrappedRequest, response );

and
public class MyRequestWrapper extends HttpServletRequestWrapper  { ... }

Google didn't turn up any examples, so I'm feeling my way through this.
Please yell if I've gotten off on the wrong track,(otherwise I'll be back
when something stops working...)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.