Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2001/12/31 18:02:13 UTC

FW: help getting help - Re-> the best way.

For what it's worth, here's another novice user perspective.  It seems to
largely agree with what we discussed last time around.

What we need is some way to put ideas like this into concrete changes in the
docs.

Joshua.

Posted by Chris Pepper <pe...@mail.reppep.com>.
	A glossary seems like a good idea. Worth linking to
Covalent's <http://apache.covalent.net/articles/glossary.php>?

At 12:02 PM -0500 2001/12/31, Joshua Slive wrote:
>For what it's worth, here's another novice user perspective.  It seems to
>largely agree with what we discussed last time around.
>
>What we need is some way to put ideas like this into concrete changes in the
>docs.

>2) a glossary of terms that also covers some of the more obscure "unix"
>terms.
>usually reserved for servers, and serving related stuff. like "virtual
>hosting", "NT service", "httpd" - has anyone looked at the man page for
>that term??? it's entirely in greek!!

>some things that would be great now that i'm at first base:
>
>1) i'd love to see "optimization" information, or "the best way to..."
>stuff.
>   i have some stuff that works - but i really have no idea why. I have some
>stuff that worked, then didn't work, now works again. and i still haven't
>figured out what i did to change any of it. i have some stuff that doesn't
>work at all, but i've got a work around or "second best solution" where i'm
>sure there must be a better way but just don't have the patience to
>continue trying to figure it out, when there are more important things to
>consider like the web content that is supposed to be served..

	Not sure about this one. I did a quick Google search for
Apache performance tuning and found several articles -- about half
were apparently versions of Dean Gaudet's article
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/perf-tuning.html>, linked from the
docs homepage. I'm not sure how seriously to take this point in
general, though -- if the user doesn't actually have time to do
performance tuning, or search on Google for "Apache performance",
he's not really an audience for such a document anyway.

	Dean's article is very understated -- do y'all think it would
be worth changing so it's a little less self-deprecating? It states
Apache in Windows has poor performance -- is this still true?

>3) examples of working servers!
>i've seen plenty of requests before, in other groups,
>_post_some_examples!!!_ yeah, those... hey, i could post "bad examples that
>work", i have managed to get multiple virtual hosts happening, but i still
>can't figure out how to give them there own unique cgi bin, i can't get pdf
>files to be served from a folder in the cgi-bin path, and i can't get my
>default ip or www to serve without duplicating it in the virtual host
>directory with this installation (it worked before). i lost my root log
>files, till i forced them into a subfolder in my cgi-bin. i'm serving a lot
>of perl using "activestate perl" and have heard a lot of talk about mod
>perl, and am terrified to open that can of worms, lest a fish i'm not
>prepared for, completely overwhelms me, and i end up serving from my apple
>iie again.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:          <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller University:   <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>

Re: FW: help getting help - Re-> the best way.

Posted by Graham <gr...@tecknet.net>.
Hello Joshua,
Dear all,
     this too should begin with for what it's worth. I must say that i
     concurr wholeheartedly with Ken's tome. If i have any single
     criticism it is this, both this list and the docs largely ASSUME
     we understand what we are doing, it is ASSUMED that i understand
     Unix. Well i don't, i would very much like to, but life is short,
     my brain has a finite capacity and i have a family who like to
     eat. It would not occur to me to use anything other than Apache
     on the network I administer, but it is a small network and we use
     Apache on our Intranet, I must use NT 4 server, that is what my
     employer has ergo i must use the windows installation of Apache,
     this will change next year (tomorrow!) as i am now comfortable
     enough to go live with my Linux box and be sure that i have a
     reasonable chance of fixing it. I, as i am sure there are more in
     a similar situation, don't have a support team, i AM the support
     team. I cannot go down any corridor and ask somebody, i find
     myself very much on my own and my knowlage is gleaned from doc's,
     manuals, newsgroups and the Internet in general. It is only
     because computing is first and foremost a hobby and a passion
     that i have got this far, that it is also my means of sustaining
     my family is largely incidental.
     Yes, i have ranted, but the new year is upon us. I would very
     much like to help. I really believe that if only fewer
     assumptions were made, i could really understand more, faster.
     You may ask what sort of help a person who doesn't understand
     Unix could offer, well i am fluent in both Spanish and German for
     a start. If i had some sort of clue as to what i was looking at
     in the first instance, i would have a realistic chance of
     translating into another language so that others would be able to
     understand also.

     Happy New Year to Everybody.

     regards  Graham Burns.

--