Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Brown, Carlton" <Ca...@BellSouth.com> on 2006/02/09 20:47:58 UTC

Question on error

Trying to understand some things about this error here... I don't
believe I should be getting it, yet I am.

"The class (ClassA) in file (file) is out of date due to (ClassfileA)
but has not been deleted because its source file could not be
determined."

I have a few issues here...

1)  The source file is there on disk, it definitely exists

2)  How can it determine it is "out of date" if it can't identify the
source file?

3)  Is there a way to force it to delete the allegedly out-of-date file
even if its source file "could not be determined" and is there anything
wrong with such an approach?

Thanks,

Carlton

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers."  118

Re: Question on error

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Carlton Brown <Ca...@bellsouth.com> wrote:
>
>> "The class (ClassA) in file (file) is out of date due to
>> (ClassfileA) but has not been deleted because its source file could
>> not be determined."
>
> I know this warning message from some historical Java files that use
> multiple classes in the same source file.  This warning is issued when
> a package private class is out of date that lives in a source file
> that has a differenet name than its source file.

It does it for rmic stubs too

Re: Question on error

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Carlton Brown <Ca...@bellsouth.com> wrote:

> "The class (ClassA) in file (file) is out of date due to
> (ClassfileA) but has not been deleted because its source file could
> not be determined."

I know this warning message from some historical Java files that use
multiple classes in the same source file.  This warning is issued when
a package private class is out of date that lives in a source file
that has a differenet name than its source file.

> I have a few issues here...
>
> 1)  The source file is there on disk, it definitely exists

And has the same name as the class file (minus extension) and the same
case and is located in a proper directory hierarchy matching its
package?

> 2) How can it determine it is "out of date" if it can't identify the
> source file?

Are you using the closure attribute?  Ant may know that a class your
class depends on is out of date.

> 3) Is there a way to force it to delete the allegedly out-of-date
> file even if its source file "could not be determined" and is there
> anything wrong with such an approach?

If Ant can't find it, it can't delete it.

Stefan

RE: Question on error

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@dpml.net>.

What is the task that is raising this message?
(Try running ant with the -v option if the source task is not immediately
recognizable - the -v option will turn on verbose logging and provide you
with a bunch more info about what is happening inside your project).

/Steve.