Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/04 21:16:46 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

+1

Off the top of my head we have (I'm sure there is more, but ):

* Package name / artifact structure cleanup (breaking change, but minor
impact)
* Remove CAS modules
* Replace deprecated code (or move to an implementation/private package,
for anything still needed)
* Support javax.annotation.security annotations (or whatever they are now
under Eclipse).  These annotations work a little different from the Shiro
ones.
* Update to Jakarta dependencies (or figure out a way to work with both,
abstracting the HTTP logic), bigger lift (or maybe two different 'web'
packages?)

The Jakarta ones have me a little worried though, I think many of the
current Shiro users would have a hard time making the switch anytime soon.
Which could kill the adoption of a 2.0.
We could (and probably should) abstract the web specifics out in order to
support the _current_ API, Jakarta EE, and other non-servlet stacks
(reactive).
That said, it's a likely a bunch of work (and again, I'm guessing most of
the user base would use the current API), so this _could_ be a 3.0 item.

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Agreed Sreenivas,

Do you have a list of specific features you are looking for so we can try
to prioritize them?

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by sreenivas harshith <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brian,

yes, I totally meant VALIDATING a JWT. Absolutely. Not issuing one. That is
easy enough for users to implement it theirselves.

JWTs only make sense if they are used:
1. stateless, i.e. no session
2. not as a cookie replacement
3. not as a authz replacement (it should most of the times only carry small
authc data)

That said, if a user comes with a bearer token, shiro bears two challenges:
1.) The jwt can easily be validated in the realm, just implement
doGetAuthenticationInfo and check issuer, date and signature. That's easy.
2.) If you need to extract authz data, well that's a different problem. if
you hit that method, you do not have the key in hand - just look at the
method signature:
    protected AuthorizationInfo doGetAuthorizationInfo(final
PrincipalCollection principals)

So you need to store it in a small cache, which does not feel right. Or
just look up everything from a 3rd datasource, like your DB.  But then, you
can just skip this Realm for the Authc part and have a more general authc
strategy.

That said, for multiple realms, just imagine this:
1. Authc via JWT
2. Authc via LDAP
3. Authc via static config file

But for all three realms you want to look up your own database for
authorization. You need to implement your own delegator. And I think it is
not easy to understand this as a shiro newbie.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
I found this one:

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
I found this one:

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.
Benjamin,

No worries we are on the same page :)

I absolutely agree with the cache issue between authc and authz.  I've had
to work around that a couple times.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Agree, for me Shiro is not the place to implement an Authorization Server, Shiro is more a framework.

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Richard Adams <ri...@researchspace.com>.
A framework or implementation of standard authorisation server endpoints such
as /oauth/token for

standard grant types such as refresh_token, password, authorisation_code etc.
e.g described here
[https://aaronparecki.com/oauth-2-simplified/](https://aaronparecki.com/oauth-2-simplified/#authorization)

Could be a servlet filter, but if so should  delegate to a handler which  can
be used in other places e.g. Spring Interceptors, Controllers, standalone
applications etc. The Shiro approach of a standard  out-of-the-box
implementation with lots of configurable /overridable functionality would work
well here, along with reference classes for the various types of token.

E.g. anyone returning JSON of an OAuth token probably has a class similar to
this, simple enough but why reinvent the wheel every time.

/**

 * Represents the JSON response returned when refreshing / adding a new OAuth token

 */

@Data

**public** **class** NewOAuthTokenResponse {

@JsonProperty("access_token")

**private** String accessToken;

@JsonProperty("refresh_token")

**private** String refreshToken;

@JsonIgnore

**private** Instant expiryTime;

**private** String scope;

@JsonProperty("token_type")

**private** **static** String _TOKEN_TYPE_ = "bearer";

@JsonProperty("expires_in")

**public** Long expiresIn() {

**return** Duration. _between_ (Instant. _now_ (), expiryTime).getSeconds();

}

}

> On 05 April 2020 at 14:11 Brian Demers <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OAuth support has been on the top of my list for a while too! We added a
bearer token filter in 1.5, but that is only part of the way there for just
one flow.

> Anything specific you are looking for? Resource Server? A standard redirect
(auth code flow)? OIDC support? etc

> -Brian

>> On Apr 5, 2020, at 7:59 AM, Rob Young <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Our org uses pac4j for doing oauth and I'd love to drop it, it's one too
many security libraries.  It would be fantastic if shiro could provide this
natively.

>> On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Richard Adams <

>>> __

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Francois Papon <fr...@openobject.fr>.
Yes, +1 for OAuth support!

regards,

François
fpapon@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] - Move to 2.0.0

Posted by Rob Young <bo...@gmail.com>.
Cool!  This isn’t my specialty so I might get the terms wrong.  For me I
think it’s the redirect authentication that I’m looking for.  Basically you
implement a web application and want to let users log in via an oauth
service like google.

--
Rob Young
robertjohnyoung@gmail.com