Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Robbe Sneyders <ro...@ml6.eu> on 2018/09/05 16:11:52 UTC

Python 3: final step

Hi everyone,

With the merging of [1], we now have Python 3 tests running on Jenkins,
which allows us to move forward with the last step of the Python 3 porting.

You can follow the progress on the Jira Kanban Board [2]. If you're
interested in helping by porting a module, you can assign one of the issues
to yourself and start coding. You can find the different steps outlined in
the design document [3].

We could also use some extra reviewers. If you're interested, let us know,
and we'll tag you in our PRs.

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=245
[3] https://s.apache.org/beam-python-3

kind regards,
Robbe
--

[image: https://ml6.eu] <https://ml6.eu/>

* Robbe Sneyders*

ML6 Gent
<https://www.google.be/maps/place/ML6/@51.037408,3.7044893,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x47c37161feeca14b:0xb8f72585fdd21c90!8m2!3d51.037408!4d3.706678?hl=nl>

M: +32 474 71 31 08

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Maximilian Michels <mx...@apache.org>.
This has been requested multiple times. Thanks for working on the Python
3 story.

Let me know if I can help out in any way!

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Charles Chen <cc...@google.com>.

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Andrew Pilloud <ap...@google.com>.

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Robbe Sneyders <ro...@ml6.eu>.
Hi all,

We've been making quite some progress these last weeks. I'll give a short
status update on where we are right now.

Our current goal is to make all unittests succeed in Python 3. We are
currently at:
1842 tests: (SKIP=350, errors=100, failures=9)

All of these remaining errors and failures are in the io and examples
packages, except for some non-blocking failing typehints tests. All other
packages have been ported. We're currently working on porting the io
package, and have finished all core modules (iobase, filesystemio,
filebasedsource/sink, textio, ...). This allowed us to fix the wordcount
end to end examples, which now run successfully on Python 3! [1]

Next up are all other io sources and sinks. Most of the skipped tests are
due to missing GCP components in the Python 3 test suite. We will add a
separate GCP test suite for Python 3 when we start porting the first GCP io
module, which should be very soon.

Anyone who wants to help out, can start with porting one of these
sources/sinks.

Re: Python 3: final step

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Re: Python 3: final step