Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> on 2014/06/08 20:11:42 UTC

Stratos Dev Stack - A Script to Setup A Stratos Development Environment in Minutes

Hi All,

As you may all know currently we do not have a straightforward way to setup
a Stratos environment in one go. At the moment we need to go though series
of manual steps to setup a Stratos environment by referring the
documentation. This is very time consuming.

Today I implemented a bash script to do this in one go, I would like to
call this Stratos Dev Stack (Stratos Development Stack), may be we could
change the name and bring this into Stratos in a future release if you
prefer:
https://github.com/imesh/stratos-dev-stack

​

In-addition to the above script I implemented another one to automate the
cartridge creation process, this could be called Stratos Cartride Creator:
https://gist.github.com/imesh/f8fd7a40d89dd4b60898

*How to Setup a Stratos Environment:*
1. Start a VM Instance (Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) to deploy Stratos.
2. Checkout Stratos Dev Stack:
    git clone https://github.com/imesh/stratos-dev-stack
3. Configure install.sh with host private IP and IaaS information.
4. Execute install.sh:
    ./install.sh
    This process will install pre-requisites, Java, MySQL Server, Puppet
Master, ActiveMQ and Stratos in the above VM instance.
5. Start a new VM Instance (Ubuntu 12.04 64bit) to create the base
cartridge image.
6. Checkout Stratos Cartridge Creator
  wget
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/imesh/f8fd7a40d89dd4b60898/raw/b7a9054356e5191a2488fa2401e3459550fea65a/cartridge-creator.sh
  sudo ./cartridge-creator.sh
7. Once the cartridge creation process is completed, create an image from
the above VM instance and find its Image Id.
8. Now everything is ready to use Stratos, login to Stratos dashboard and
deploy some sample artifacts.

Please note that currently this is only supported in Amazon EC2. We could
improve this to support other IaaSs in the near future.

Thanks

--
Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PPMC Member, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos Dev Stack - A Script to Setup A Stratos Development Environment in Minutes

Posted by Pradeep Fernando <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Nice work imesh. But I dont like the idea of creating another abstraction
over the existing script. (if i get your work correct). It is better if we
can incorporate some of the changes to existing scripts. For an example
downloading Java/Mysql and activeMQ. (right now the downloading part is
manual i guess..)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Automated+Product+Configuration

thnaks

--
Pradeep Fernando.
http://pradeepfernando.blogspot.com/

Re: Stratos Dev Stack - A Script to Setup A Stratos Development Environment in Minutes

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Imesh,