Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by michaeljay <em...@ufl.edu> on 2006/12/13 19:19:53 UTC

[users@httpd] new user / cgi program ignoring
arguments

I have httpd 2.2 / windows xp

My cgi program (ansi c) is failing to echo arguments from an xhtml
form. Thinking this is common. Can anyone point to common
configuration errors which would result in something like this.
The resulting web page says: "(null)"

* the form is sending correctly using the mailto: method.
* the program works from the command line
* the form is triggering hardwired output from the program.
* the program will echo argv[0] (program path) in the web output
but not argv[1] which should be the name=value pairs

thanks

< emjay! >

Re: [users@httpd] new user / cgi program ignoring arguments

Posted by Sean Conner <sp...@conman.org>.
It was thus said that the Great michaeljay once stated:
> I have httpd 2.2 / windows xp
>
> My cgi program (ansi c) is failing to echo arguments from an xhtml
> form. Thinking this is common. Can anyone point to common
> configuration errors which would result in something like this.
> The resulting web page says: "(null)"
>
> * the form is sending correctly using the mailto: method.
> * the program works from the command line
> * the form is triggering hardwired output from the program.
> * the program will echo argv[0] (program path) in the web output
> but not argv[1] which should be the name=value pairs

  Apache doesn't send the name/value pairs on the comment line, but either
through the environment variable QUERY_STRING (for a GET method) or as stdin
(for the POST method).  Either way, you'll need to parse the input
(QUERY_STRING or stdin) to break the name/value pairs apart.

  -spc (I have a library for that sort of thing---works well under Unix,
	and an older version *was* successfully ported to Windows, but
	that was about seven years ago ... )