Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> on 2009/12/10 18:14:04 UTC

Re: [java] Adding support for the new address format in the JMS client

On 11/25/2009 11:06 PM, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> One question I have is about how we'll provide access to alternate
> syntaxes via jndi configuration and the JMS API (i.e.
> createQueue(...)/createTopic(...)). I can think of a few options, e.g.
> switching between syntaxes using a system/connection property. Or maybe
> having some sort of meta-syntax that that would permit usage of the two
> syntaxes side by side, e.g. "OLD: ...", "NEW: ...", or possibly some
> combination of the two approaches.

In the case of jndi configuration, what about having a different context
factory to do the parsing? I.e. in jndi configuration files using the
new syntax you would specify something other than the existing
org.apache.qpid.jndi.PropertiesFileInitialContextFactory. That way
existing configuration will work as before with no changes, and a new
format can be parsed without any need to worry about the older format.

That doesn't deal with strings passed to createQueue()/createTopic() of
course. Perhaps there a specific 'factory' can be associated with a
connection, configured via a connection option? Where a file backed jndi
configuration is used the two different context factories could then set
different defaults for this meaning again that old config would be
unaffected and new config could ignore the old config entirely also.

Just a suggestion...

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: [java] Adding support for the new address format in the JMS client

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Ok, I must be in need of a break as I don't see why we can't
> automatically detect and parse the formats.
>
> We are talking about the difficulty that the JNDI destination tag will
> be able to be more than one format right?
>
> Old style:
> destination.direct = direct://amq.direct//directQueue
> New Style:
> my-destination; {create: always, node-properties: {type: special}}
>
> as far as I can see the two would be quite easy to distinguish.
>
> Old is
> STRING://STRING/...
> New
> is
> STRING;...
>
> Sorry If I'm clearly not following what is going on but could someone
> explain where the difficulty in detecting the difference between the
> two formats lies?

The string "direct:" is a valid node name, and the string
"/amq.direct//directQueue" is a valid subject. Putting them together
with a slash in between (name/subject) results in:

direct://amq.direct//directQueue

--Rafael

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/12/11 Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>:
> [...]
>  as a filter for incoming messages from that source.
>
>  The options map contains additional information about the address
>  including:
>
>    - policies for automatically creating, and deleting the node to
>      which an address refers
>
>    - policies for asserting facts about the node to which an address
>      refers
>
>    - extension points that can be used for sender/receiver
>      configuration
>
> Mapping to 0-10 semantics:
>
>  The name is resolved to either an exchange or a queue by querying
>  the broker.
>
>  The subject is set as a property on the message. Additionally, if
>  the name refers to an exchange, the routing key is set to the
>  subject.
>
> Examples:
>
>  A simple name resolves to any named node, usually a queue or a
>  topic:
>
>    my-queue-or-topic
>
>  A simple name with a subject will also resolve to a node, but the
>  presence of the subject will cause a sender using this address to
>  set the subject on outgoing messages, and receivers to filter based
>  on the subject:
>
>    my-queue-or-topic/my-subject
>
>  A subject pattern can be used and will cause filtering if used by
>  the receiver. If used for a sender, the literal value gets set as
>  the subject:
>
>    my-queue-or-topic/my-*
>
>  In all the above cases, the address is resolved to an existing node.
>  If you want the node to be auto-created, then you can do the
>  following. By default nonexistent nodes are assumed to be queues:
>
>    my-queue; {create: always}
>
>  You can customize the properties of the queue:
>
>    my-queue; {create: always, node-properties: {durable: True}}
>
>  You can create a topic instead if you want:
>
>    my-queue; {create: always, node-properties: {type: topic}}
>
>  You can assert that the address resolves to a node with particular
>  properties:
>
>    my-transient-topic; {assert: always, node-properties: {type: topic,
> durable: False}}

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Ok, I must be in need of a break as I don't see why we can't
automatically detect and parse the formats.

We are talking about the difficulty that the JNDI destination tag will
be able to be more than one format right?

Old style:
destination.direct = direct://amq.direct//directQueue
New Style:
my-destination; {create: always, node-properties: {type: special}}

as far as I can see the two would be quite easy to distinguish.

Old is
STRING://STRING/...
New
is
STRING;...

Sorry If I'm clearly not following what is going on but could someone
explain where the difficulty in detecting the difference between the

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Ritchie

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Your right I probably did but also ment that if you want a Queue
> Object then JNDI InitialContext gives that to you. Currently if you
> actually want the queue to be created on the broker in a pure JMS way
> then createConsumer(..) is the only way to go.

I think we need to support createQueue()/createTopic() for a number of
reasons. First, it is part of the JMS specification, so I don't think we
really have a choice. Second, there are existing usages, and I wouldn't
want to discourage people from using the new format by saying it's not
supported directly via createQueue()/createTopic(). Third, while the JMS
specification does warn that the value passed in is vendor specific, its
arguable that we don't actually care if a user wants to write code that
is specific to a qpid client.

Finally, the actual issue with using it is that destinations are vendor
specific configuration and if you're trying to remain vendor neutral
then you shouldn't hardcode vendor specific configuration into your
applications, however I think there are completely reasonable usages
that don't hardcode configuration, e.g. passing a specification in from
the command line wouldn't make your code at all vendor specific.

--Rafael

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> I'm suggesting that the createQueue()/createTopic() behaviour be
> configured through a flag/mode on the connection and that when jndi is
> used to obtain a connection factory the value of that flag/mode could be
> different based on the context factory in use.

Ah, I understand now. That sounds like it would work. I think the
question just boils down to whether we need to support addresses and
binding URLs in use side by side or not (either in the same file or on
the same connection).

It would seem the benefit to not supporting side by side usage is that
we encourage a cleaner switchover, i.e. you go straight from the old to
the new in a single step rather than having to prefix everything until
you've eliminated all occurrences of the old syntax. Whereas supporting
the old and new syntax side by side would allow a more incremental
migration, but would require a second cleanup step at the end when you
have only ADDR prefixed usages remaining.

 From an implementation perspective neither option is particularly
onerous. My impulse is probably to lean towards the clean switchover and
not mixing usages, however I believe others have expressed the opposite
view, maybe they could comment on the reasons?

--Rafael

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org> wrote:

> What ever we do new JNDI, prefixing (which I find a tad strange) we
> need to support both formats simultaneously in a single file to allow
> users to migrate.

Mixing formats in one file seems unlikely. Wouldn't users change all
the urls in their file at once?

Using different context factories for the parsing seems like the best
solution to me. It does mean that users have to change code as well as
configuration when switching over.

- Aidan

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> Hi Rajith,
>
> Thanks.
>
> So if an existing user upgrades, but forgets/doesn't know to change the
> default preifx then they'll get a parsing exception or suchlike back when
> they try to connect ?

We have a choice over what default unprefixed syntax to use. Probably
the most polite thing to do for our current users would be to choose the
old syntax as the default unprefixed syntax, but issue a warning to the
effect that the default will change.

--Rafael

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Rajith,

Thanks.

So if an existing user upgrades, but forgets/doesn't know to change the
default preifx then they'll get a parsing exception or suchlike back when
they try to connect ?

Marnie

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.