Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Tom H <to...@limepepper.co.uk> on 2010/01/13 08:18:45 UTC

using jackrabbit for rapid content type prototyping

Hi jackrabbit users,

This is my first post, so hi everyone!

I am interested in tools for rapid content type prototyping, and I was
wondering how suitable jackrabbit or other implementations of jst170
would be (or the associated tools).

Basically I have previously been using drupal CCK to create content
types for a few projects, and its been surprisingly ok for that purpose.
You can create a new type in a few minutes, and then add content using
the API to batch upload, and have searchable, editable content....

However I am definitely reaching the limits of that platform, and would
like to move to a Java platform with integration into some of our other
services.

Are there any tools to allowing editing the content types online? and
what tools exist to generate add/edit/delete type web interfaces for the
content in the repositories?

Thanks,

Tom

ps (apologies of these questions are obvious or answered elsewhere, I
have reviewed about 10 different products today, and my brain has gone!)

pps The types of content that I am dealing with a real estate properties
and education projects that have fields like "title, description,
images, attachments" and relations to other content items. really there
is nothing there that can't be done using a normal relational database
with a web framework, indexing, and some AJAX for form presentation

Re: using jackrabbit for rapid content type prototyping

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
hi tom,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Tom H <to...@limepepper.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi jackrabbit users,
>
> This is my first post, so hi everyone!

welcome on the jackrabbit users list :)

> I am interested in tools for rapid content type prototyping, and I was
> wondering how suitable jackrabbit or other implementations of jst170
> would be (or the associated tools).

jackrabbit IMO perfectly supports rapid content type prototyping through
the nt:unstructured node type. i'd recommend you have a look at
"David's Model", "Data First, Structure Later, Maybe" [0].

cheers
stefan

[0] http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/DavidsModel#Rule_.231:_Data_First.2C_Structure_Later._Maybe.