Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Luke Deller <ld...@xplantechnology.com> on 2002/02/26 09:21:51 UTC

xerces2-j in applet

Hi,

I am trying to use xerces2-j in an applet, but I have two problems:

(1) The xercesImpl.jar file is too large for use over the internet.  If I
just want to use basic DOM stuff then what can I strip out of the jar file?

(2) org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory doesn't work in an applet because
it tries to use "Thread.getContextClassLoader" without gracefully
degrading to use the default classloader if a security exception is
thrown.  I get an "InvocationTargetException" being thrown from
ObjectFactory.java:278 (in function "findClassLoader").  Fixing
"findClassLoader" to return "null" in this case fixes the problem for me.
  Is it really necessary for me to modify this code, or am I doing
something wrong?

I am using xerces-j 2.0.0 with the Java plugin from Sun's JRE 1.3.1

Thanks
Luke.

Re: xerces2-j in applet

Posted by Edwin Goei <ed...@sun.com>.
Andy Clark wrote:

> Edwin,
>
> Luke Deller wrote:
> > (2) org.apache.xerces.util.ObjectFactory doesn't work in an applet because
> > it tries to use "Thread.getContextClassLoader" without gracefully
> > degrading to use the default classloader if a security exception is
> > thrown.  I get an "InvocationTargetException" being thrown from
> > ObjectFactory.java:278 (in function "findClassLoader").  Fixing
> > "findClassLoader" to return "null" in this case fixes the problem for me.
>
> The ObjectFactory code is almost taken directly from the JAXP
> implementation. Do you think that this code should be changed
> to avoid this security exception problem? How do you think of
> Luke's proposed fix -- do you see any problems with it?

I'll take a look as soon as I have a free moment.  Let me know if this
isn't good enough.

-Edwin

Re: xerces2-j in applet

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.