Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com> on 2022/11/07 23:00:30 UTC

Releases notes ... Jira, GitHub

Hi,
I start a discussion ... as beginning - some my loose thoughts

We use Jira (for most of) as our primary issues management system.
We manage release notes in Jira - it is the source for announcements.

In some projects we have  GitHub releases notes.
In some cases we use release-drafter for preparing GitHub releases notes.
Some of release  notes on GH - it is not actual

Challenge:
 -  make both release notes to have the same information
 - minimal additional manual work

Release - drafter is fine, but
 - requires correct labeling on PR
 - eache change must be done by PR
 - each PR must be merged on GH with merged status
 - no additional issues

--
SÅ‚awomir Jaranowski

Re: Releases notes ... Jira, GitHub

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
You can find the list here
https://docs.github.com/en/site-policy/other-site-policies/github-and-trade-controls

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
wt., 8 lis 2022 o 01:16 Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> napisał(a):

> well I just see GH release note as a cherry on the cake.
> as long as the rest is done.

Just compare the result of generated dependabot PRs
> no GH release notes
> https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/pull/8853
> with GH release notes
> https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/pull/7727
> I tend to find the second (e.g with GH release note auto generated)
> more human readable and directly accessible (no need to go somewhere
> else and there is even a link to the PR of the changelog entry). but
> yeah maybe it's only me

Yes, you are right.
To be honest I also like GH release notes, and I think that is more
readable.
It is also used by other tools like dependabot.
Moreover, I think that most users can not reach release notes in Jira - it
is visible for logged users.

But we should have a fresh cherry with a new cake :-)

For me the biggest issue is that we can have slightly different release
notes for the same version,
or missing release notes on GitHub for the new version.

 Regarding "each change must be done by PR", for some reasons we can’t
> really make it mandatory but let's be honest in real life everybody
> does it :)
> At the end, if release drafter is configured it's just one click, and
> if not it's 2 clicks or one command line if using github cli tool gh

I did an experiment for Plugin Tools -
https://github.com/apache/maven-plugin-tools/releases/tag/maven-plugin-tools-3.7.0

- Copy release notes in html from jira
- use online html to markdown converter
- paste to GitHub
 so also not many "clicks"

On a more general discussion, we are a very large project with plenty
> of sub projects (maintained by different people who are not
> maintaining every project) and we can be happy having few people
> maintaining those during their spare time. So not sure it's  a very
> good idea to have too strict policies/procedures especially when it
> comes to adding a nice to have cherry on the top for users
> Especially when the rest of our long procedure has been done.

I'm not for strict procedure - rather discussion is about good practices

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.