Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/20 00:17:29 UTC

Php vs. Java vs... ??

Hi all,
as far as I'm reading,
it seems the java version is "better" from a production-ready perspective.
am I wrong?
is it only due to the Caja availabilty?
are there other considerations? (i.e. scalability?)
what about other implementations?
a full-compliant RoR flavour would be great.

Thanks to all
leonardo

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Ropu <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> tens of millions?
>  ;)

Again, this all depends on what you're doing and your personal
infrastructure choices. Yahoo and facebook certainly get by just fine with
traffic several orders of magnitude higher than that on CGI-based (PHP)
frontends. PHP scales just fine, it just scales differently by encouraging a
pound smart, penny foolish programming model that emphasises horizontal
scalability over absolute efficiency (this is true for all CGI based
systems, so the same can be said of most perl, python, or ruby deployments
as well).

Both approaches are valid ways to achieve the goal.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.
ten of milions of what? :)

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>.
tens of millions?
 ;)

--
.-. --- .--. ..-
R o p u

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.
I agree :)
but before to start vimming with test.c (all my best projects are
named "test.c" ;)   )  I must learn the OpenSocial Container specs.
For example, it would be nice to try to code a C GadgetServer version,
and then bind it to an apache module.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Eiji Kitamura <ag...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.
sooo great!

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Ropu <ro...@gmail.com>.

--
.-. --- .--. ..-
R o p u

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.
thanks for the replies.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Leonardo <st...@gmail.com>.
this seems a really funny (and "heavy") group!
as soon as I'll learn something and will have something to reply I'll
do my better to be "at your level" ;)

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Re: Php vs. Java vs... ??

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Actually Caja isn't used in production or production ready (yet) so
that's not a difference between the two versions.

The java version is already used in production by a number of very
large sites (igoogle sandbox, orkut, hi5, etc), so is road tested and
'proven technology', in that regard it's a very safe bet to use that.

The PHP version is currently already live on 3 production sites that
are a bit smaller but working great; And will be going live on a very
large site 'any day now', and dozens of others (ranging from medium to
large sized) later this summer, so it's not very far behind.

 From the language perspective i refuse to comment, everyone has their
own preferences and almost every language can be fast, stable and
scale well, so let's not ever tread in that territory ok :)

Short of it, their both fine choices, pick the one that suits you
best :)

	-- Chris