Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/11/20 18:26:32 UTC

Wikipedia Content

Hi,

Apache Flex has a Wikipedia page here [1].

Apache Flex wants to copy content from that page and display it in an app.
 The nightly build is here [2].  Click on the “Apache Flex Components and
Features” and click on one of the releases.  The text is not linked.  It
has been copied into the .mxml file you can see in the lower right pane.

Wikipedia content is Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.  I
recently found a post in the archives that indicated that CC-A is Category
A, but CC-A-SA is not.  Is that true?

Then on the Legal Resolved page [3] it says that you can include
“unmodified media” that is CC-A-SA.  Is Wikipedia text included under
“unmodified media” or was the word “media” chosen (instead of “content” or
“works”) because it was expected to be videos and other “binary” content?

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Flex
[2] http://s.apache.org/sC4
[3] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
The app (Tour De Flex) is here http://flex.apache.org/tourdeflex/index.html

Click on “Apache Flex Components and Features” then click on “Apache Flex 4.8” or any of the other releases.

Compare to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Flex

Tour De Flex is a collection of examples, but the text copied from wikipedia isn’t really a part of a collection of text copied from other places.

-Alex

From: Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>>
Date: Sunday, November 30, 2014 at 6:29 PM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <le...@apache.org>>, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>>
Subject: Re: Wikipedia Content

I said 'strong' because the GPL also identifies separate & independent works as not being derived/adaptions. They seem akin in their copyleftness.

From the original mail:

"Apache Flex wants to copy content from that page and display it in an app."

Baking the content in an application did not, without more information, sound like a separate & independent work to me. i.e it doesn't sound like a collection in the final product.

Hen

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>> wrote:
Henri, I don't know what you mean by the phrase "a very strong copyleft license" in reference to CC-SA.

Apache is presumably going to include these works in our Collections. The CC-SA license provides that "a work that constitutes a Collection will not be considered an Adaptation for the purpose of this License." It says this twice to make sure that nobody will confuse this license with early GPL language!

The following definitions in CC-SA are important:

  1.  "Adaptation" means a work based upon the Work, or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, adaptation, derivative work, arrangement of music or other alterations of a literary or artistic work, or phonogram or performance and includes cinematographic adaptations or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted including in any form recognizably derived from the original, except that a work that constitutes a Collection will not be considered an Adaptation for the purpose of this License. For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical work, performance or phonogram, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image ("synching") will be considered an Adaptation for the purpose of this License.
  2.  "Collection" means a collection of literary or artistic works, such as encyclopedias and anthologies, or performances, phonograms or broadcasts, or other works or subject matter other than works listed in Section 1(f) below, which, by reason of the selection and arrangement of their contents, constitute intellectual creations, in which the Work is included in its entirety in unmodified form along with one or more other contributions, each constituting separate and independent works in themselves, which together are assembled into a collective whole. A work that constitutes a Collection will not be considered an Adaptation (as defined below) for the purposes of this License.

/Larry

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Henri, this issue keeps coming up here! On your behalf and on behalf of other curious readers here on this list, I will ask our Creative Commons friends your question: "Is the CC-SA license GPL-like?"

Boldly presaging their answer, I will equivocate: "Yes and no."

Yes, it requires reciprocation by anyone who creates an Adaptation of the CC-BY work. No, it doesn't require anything more onerous than the Apache License for the mere incorporation of that work into a Collection.

Apache's rule should state that any Apache project can incorporate CC-BY components into an Apache Collection. Apache projects can also *adapt* such works, but then our *adapted* versions *of the CC-BY components* must be under CC-BY.

As for the "risk" to downstream users, there is none as long as they do not themselves create an Adaptation *of the CC-BY components* distributed in the Apache Collection but ignore the reciprocity requirement of CC-BY. That is why we create a NOTICE file with each Apache Collection.

To be practical, I can't imagine a situation where Wikipedia content under CC-BY would matter much anyway to any downstream user of an Apache Collection. Such components are easy for distributors to remove or leave alone. Let's not allow confusion over license terms overrule the obvious.

As to its literary comparison to GPLv2: The Creative Commons folks have eliminated GPL-like confusion in their licenses. Their licenses are clearer, less ambiguous, understood around the world, and do not confuse people with terms like "static and dynamic linking" or "combining" or "baking code into other code" that have influenced the software industry for far too long.

[FWIW, if it weren't for the rampant and self-inflicted confusion about "linking" with GPLv2 components, I would recommend that ASF also allow such GPL components in our Apache Collections. Of course Apache projects would have to be careful when they create Adaptations of such works and the NOTICE files would become even more relevant to some downstream users who are themselves distributors. Fortunately, I don't have to bring the GPLv2 or GPLv3 licenses up today.]

As long as we understand what Creative Commons and Apache Software Foundation both mean by *Adaptation* and *Collection* then we can safely use Creative Commons components.

/Larry

Cc: Creative Commons

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Sorry for late reply... have been traveling. Will be back
online and avail Friday (the 12th) am. :)

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Jim,

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

FW: Wikipedia Content

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Here is the original post in this thread:

http://s.apache.org/WhH

Wikipedia content now exists unmodified in a source file of an Apache distribution and noted in LICENSE and NOTICE.

The RM pushed the bits Friday to here https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/flex/tourdeflex/1.2/

Let us know if we have to make changes.

-Alex

From: Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>>
Date: Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 4:22 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>
Cc: Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>>

> By “this means that the contents of the collection under this license need to be shared under the same license.” I meant the items in the collection under this license.

So what's wrong with that? Every customer of general purpose FOSS applications software that includes Linux, Android, Apache server, Hadoop, and the like, is already accepting that kind of licensing complexity!

It isn't even complexity. Both Apache and CC-SA licenses are completely satisfied by publishing licensing notices and pointing to the original source code. Everyone should already be doing that.

/Larry

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
> By “this means that the contents of the collection under this license need to be shared under the same license.” I meant the items in the collection under this license.

So what's wrong with that? Every customer of general purpose FOSS applications software that includes Linux, Android, Apache server, Hadoop, and the like, is already accepting that kind of licensing complexity!

It isn't even complexity. Both Apache and CC-SA licenses are completely satisfied by publishing licensing notices and pointing to the original source code. Everyone should already be doing that.

/Larry

By “this means that the contents of the collection under this license need to be shared under the same license.” I meant the items in the collection under this license.

> SA stands for “Share Alike” – this means that the contents of the collection

> under this license need to be shared under the same license.

No it does not! What you say is true for an Adaptation but not a Collection! Please reread the definitions in the license carefully. Perhaps you are assuming that the CC-SA license is as awkwardly written or grudgingly interpreted as GPLv2, but it isn't.

And of course the generous CC-SA license continues to apply in perpetuity to the tiny CC-SA work all by itself, if any Apache downstream user would like to unbury it.

> ... in general we do not want our downstream users to have to understand

> the difference between making and sharing an edit to file A (under CC-SA)

> versus making and sharing an edit to file B (under Apache Software License

> or similar)

Fortunately for them, most of our downstream users and redistributors incorporate a wide variety of FOSS components in their software. Almost all respectable distributors and users of FOSS (and commercial) software nowadays require merely disclosure of all FOSS components and a list of all licenses that apply (including CC-SA and Apache). Those downstream users are perfectly able and willing to comply with all those FOSS licenses that are disclosed. [1]  And with the source code they can make their own use and redistribution decisions.

The only ones on this legal-discuss@apache list who have ever objected to CC-SA are a few lawyers representing large distributors of Apache software who refuse to modify their existing commercial licenses to tell their customers that CC-SA components may be inside, or who won't take the time to replace components they don't like in software they distribute. We shouldn't really care about their commercial licensing issues, as long as our Apache Collections remains in perpetuity under the Apache license and the CC-SA components remain under CC-SA.

Nobody else has reason to be afraid of CC-SA that I'm aware of, but please speak up here.

/Larry

[1] At the PLI "Open Source and Free Software 2014" program on December 10, David Marr (Qualcomm), Karen Copenhaver (Choate), and Jilayne Lovejoy (ARM) will describe how businesses are regularizing the open source supply chain ("OpenChain"). They gave this presentation previously at a FOSS workshop in Barcelona and it was well received. Also, Kat Walsh (Creative Commons) will speak about CC licenses for software standards and other works important nowadays to Apache. For further information, see  <http://www.pli.edu/Content/Seminar/Open_Source_and_Free_Software_2014_Benefits/_/N-4kZ1z12esr?ID=178810> http://www.pli.edu/Content/Seminar/Open_Source_and_Free_Software_2014_Benefits/_/N-4kZ1z12esr?ID=178810.

[1] http://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools/articleinfo/index.php?article=Apache_Flex <http://tools.wmflabs.org/xtools/articleinfo/index.php?article=Apache_Flex&lang=en&wiki=wikipedia> &lang=en&wiki=wikipedia

RE: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
> Policy and religion are roommates.

Policy and religion need to grow up and move out on their own. One can become a priest with access to God, the other a FOSS programmer with access to the entire world of FOSS software.

> All this means, of course, is that such policy decisions can be adjusted as time goes by, ....

They must.

> ... a "no brainer" situation where "no legal advice is needed" :)

Why would a lawyer allow you to get away with such a ridiculous option, especially when the brain should be our favorite organ?

See you next week! I have still to get my slides ready but it should be easy. All I have to do is introduce the rest of you. Get ready for a long day, and save the evening for an enjoyable dinner out with friends and colleagues. Fortunately I still have those in the legal community even if ASF has proven mostly a dud in that respect.

/Larry

RE: Wikipedia Content

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.

RE: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

RE: Wikipedia Content

RE: Wikipedia Content

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Luis Villa <lu...@lu.is>.

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@hoplahup.net>.

Re: Wikipedia Content

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
I think the "unmodified media" and Legal Resolved entry for CC-A-SA
originated here -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-4

I do not think that "media" was chosen to try and exclude specific types of
content (e.g. your wikipedia content). IMO, using the wikipedia content
would be fine, provided you meet the attribution requirements.

--kevan