Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Markus Dahm <ma...@berlin.de> on 2001/10/02 11:42:22 UTC

BCEL @ Apache

Hi,

first of all: thanks for all the praise for BCEL ;-) I am the main developer
but I also received many ideas and corrections from other persons (who
contacted me directly, thus the mailing list has indeed very low traffic).

BCEL has a history of roughly five years and seems to me pretty much complete
by now, although it could of course be redesigned in some places. It is
mostly used for compiler backends or bytecode analysis, although what I
personally like most is the possibility to generate classes in memory at
run-time.

The project is currently hosted at SourceForge (bcel.sourceforge.net), where
you can also find a list of other projects using it. I believe that there are
a lot of places where it could be used in Apache projects, in particular all
compilers producing bytecode.
For sophisticated bytecode analysises one could also employ BCEL's subproject
JustIce which implements a fully-fledged byte code verifier. However, this is
not my tool but has been written by one of my students.

I'd be glad to donate it to Apache and see it there to live long and prosper.

Cheers
	Markus
--
Email:	markus.dahm@berlin.de		Phone: +49 30 838 75141