Posted to repository@apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/18 13:18:01 UTC

too many jaxbs out there

Surely there can't be that many implementations of JAXB:

http://mvnrepository.com/search.html?query=jaxb

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
On Friday 21 March 2008, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> >> I dont know if the license has changed, it didnt allow it when it
> >> was uploaded
> >
> > No, there are a LOT of Sun things (jaxws, jaxb, newer activation,
> > mail, etc...) that are now CDDL and could be put in central.  They
> > currently exist at java.net.   The main problems are:
> > 1) The sun poms suck
>
> I haven't used them myself, but couldn't we help them with this?
> Which ones are in worst shape?

Umm... All of them?   I don't think any of them have any of the extra
information to make them useful for things like remote-resources.   They
don't have organization info, they don't have license info,  many don't
have dependencies when the probably should, many don't even have a
<name> tag.

I tried to send them a patch about a year ago to update all the poms that
CXF used, but they didn't apply it and they've continued to deploy new
stuff with minimal/crappy poms.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
you gotta be careful too because although new versions are cddl/gpl
old versions may not, it takes them time to go back and change the
license and in some cases they can't

--
I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> wrote:
> I mean if you do your own build/bug fix release/improved jaxb you
>  should be able to redistribute it and it should be from your groupId

well, we need to look at them to see how they vary. Also, It still
breaks transitive classpath inference if there's not
recognition/warning that you're adding multiple different
implementations to a classpath.

I have one more question. There's no official sun release in there,
just stub poms. Does that still hold? If other people can stick theirs
up, can we stick a sun version up now? otherwise, the lack of a sun
library just encourages this diversity, which doesnt really help
anyone ( I know, I'm creating a pom for the typica amazon web services
lib)

-steve

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
I mean if you do your own build/bug fix release/improved jaxb you
should be able to redistribute it and it should be from your groupId

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: too many jaxbs out there

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.