Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/11/20 19:26:09 UTC

Xerces 2.4.0

Hi folks,

It's been quite a long time since we had a Xerces-C release.  I think most
of the development items that people committed to earlier on this year
(PSVI/schema component model support, grammar statelessness/persistability,
performance improvements) are just about in the can.  And, our local tests
at least don't show any conformance regressions in basic functionality.

So it seems like it might be about time to roll out Xerces-C 2.4.  This
will give folks a chance to play with the new features, and hopefully
benefit from what performance improvements we've been able to eke out in
basic functionality.

What would people think about the middle of next week as being a target for
the next release?  Do the project file maintainers (James and Vatily in
particular) think that's enough time to make sure we're buildable
everywhere folks want us to be?  I think Jason would like that DOM memory
leak plugged; does anyone else know of bugs they think are of the stop-ship
variety?

I wouldn't want to assert that all the new code is perfect, by the way.  In
fact, in the event that anyone uncovers major bugs in the new code, I'd be
willing to commit to a 2.4.1 bug-fix release in the near term (less than a
month?) after 2.4.0.  Do folks think that also sounds like a reasonable
plan?

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: Xerces 2.4.0

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.
Hey,
	no file additions for me. Im happy with the release plan. I will
take a look at the memory issue that Jason was speaking about over the
weekend.

Have a good weekend all,

Gareth

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, James Berry wrote:

> Mid next week should give me enough time. Do other committers plan any
> more file _additions_?
>
> -jdb
>
> On Nov 20, 2003, at 10:26 AM, Neil Graham wrote:
>
> > What would people think about the middle of next week as being a
> > target for
> > the next release?  Do the project file maintainers (James and Vatily in
> > particular) think that's enough time to make sure we're buildable
> > everywhere folks want us to be?  I think Jason would like that DOM
> > memory
> > leak plugged; does anyone else know of bugs they think are of the
> > stop-ship
> > variety?

Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development  +44-1865-203192
DecisionSoft Limited                        http://www.decisionsoft.com
XML Development and Services

Re: Xerces 2.4.0

Posted by James Berry <ja...@jberry.us>.