Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com> on 2005/10/05 17:36:43 UTC

RE: PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch

We can't remove the api without deprecating it 1st, so log4j 1.3 should
support the configureandwatch methods.

Is the plan to have domconfigurator.configureandwatch (and
propertyconfigurator?) leverage a watchdog?  I thought we had discussed
this before but don't see it in the mailing list archive.

Scott

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Quoting Scott Deboy <sd...@comotivsystems.com>:

> We can't remove the api without deprecating it 1st, so log4j 1.3 should
> support the configureandwatch methods.

I don't disagree, but this came with the fallout of the initial development path
for Log4j-1.3 to be, acceptably, incompatible with Log4j-1.2.xx.  There have
been a number of changes since then making Log4j-1.3 closer to binary
compatible with Log4j-1.2.xx.  This is just one of those cases that hasn't yet
been re-addressed.

> Is the plan to have domconfigurator.configureandwatch (and
> propertyconfigurator?) leverage a watchdog?  I thought we had discussed
> this before but don't see it in the mailing list archive.

You'll have to look further back in the archives.  Mark was working on these
things a long time ago, probably even for a later 1.2.xx release.  I think
development of them kind of stopped when Mark became less active.  Now that
he's more active again, I would think that they would see the light of day in
Log4j-1.3.  But I'll leave the last word on that to Mark.  I'm making
assumptions here.

Jake

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
You are right.  We should not have removed the api, and reviewing the api
changes we have made is a task for the 1.3 beta.  We should look at what is
different and if we want to live with it, put it back, deprecated it, etc.

I believe that, yes, configureAndWatch could be implemented with the
FileWatchdog.  It will probably have slightly different behavior (like not
allowing multiple watchers from multiple calls to the method), but I think
it would be better behavior.  Or we could leave it.  The big deal breaker
was that there was not way to shutdown the watcher in the web server
environment.  This would be fixed with the new plugin stuff.

-Mark

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.