Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Williams <kw...@tarity.com> on 2003/04/10 19:26:59 UTC

error configuring with apache

All,

I'm completely stumped and hope someone can help me.  I need to
configure Apache so that it serves the static pages and forwards the
dynamic pages to tomcat.  For this I decided to use the Webapp Connector
(WARP).

I downloaded the mod_webapp.so file from
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/archives/v4.0.1/bin
(it was in the webapp-modules-1.0-tc40-linux-glibc2.2.tar.gz file).

I then copied the mod_webapp.so file to the modules directory and added
the following to my httpd.conf file: "LoadModule webapp_module
modules/mod_webapp.so"

To test this confuration I ran apachectl configtest.  Instead of success
I got the following error: "cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_weball.so
into server: /etc/httpd/modules/mod_webapp.sp: undefined symbol:
ap_pstrdup."

I have no idea what this error message means, or how to fix it.  My
other option is to use the JK2 connector, but WARP seems much easier to
configure (and is supposed more efficient as well).

I am running on Redhat Linux 8.0 w/ Apache HTTP 2.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Williams

Re: error configuring with apache

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
If you want to stick with Red Hat's Apache, you will need to build mod_jk
from source.  It's trivial, provided everything else is setup (GNU build
environment, etc).

There are instructions for building it from source in my Solaris HOWTO at
http://www.johnturner.com/howto.  The steps are identical even though the
HOWTO is for Solaris.

A significant number of people don't use Red Hat's Apache even though they
use Red Hat.  That is why you are not finding binaries for Red Hat's .40.

John

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Yes, if you compile the src for mod_jk.so-2.0.42 - it should work fine. (I think)

-Tim

Posted by Kevin Williams <kw...@tarity.com>.

Posted by Frank Garber <ga...@yahoo.com>.
Kevin,

=====

Re: error configuring with apache

Posted by Kevin Williams <kw...@tarity.com>.
Thanks again Tim,

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Kevin Williams <kw...@tarity.com>.
Ok,

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
That error you are getting is because Apache is seeing a line that says:

LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk2.so

which is incorrect.  It should be:

LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so

Either way, JK2 doesn't use mod_jk.conf unless you set it up that way (not
sure why you would do so, but its possible), and if you did, you would
probably be better off renaming the file to mod_jk2.conf and realizing that
anything in that file would have to be generated manually since the
ApacheConfig classes only output JK-compatible directives, not JK2
directives.

John

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:08:44 -0700, Kevin Williams

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Sorry I can't be of any more help. I have not used jk2 enough to experience
all its different errors. Hopefully this link will help:

http://tomcatfaq.sourceforge.net/apache.html

-Tim

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.