Posted to yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org by smit <sm...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/04 11:16:27 UTC

Temperature-aware yarn scheduler

Hi

We are planning to modify YARN to incorporate the idea of temperature-aware
scheduling of jobs. Basically, when a node is heated up, we would like our
scheduler to reduce the workload assigned to that particular node. So the
way we look at this problem, we need help in figuring out the following
things :
- Pathway for passing node's information (mainly temperature) to the
scheduler.
- Mechanism through which scheduler chooses the nodes. (to prevent a heated
node from being selected)
- General overview of the workflow of the yarn code.

We tried asking for help at IRC, and acmurthy suggested us to mail it
directly to the mailing list. It would be very grateful of you if you can
help us in this regard.

Thanking you.

Smit Mehta
Final year, B.Tech
Computer Science and Engineering
IIT Madras
+91-9884996531 || http://www.smitmehta.com

Re: Temperature-aware yarn scheduler

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Smit,

If by temperature you mean physical temperature, YARN currently does not
collect this information.  Check out NodeStatusUpdaterImpl.java for where
the NodeManagers pass information to the ResourceManager / scheduler.

If by temperature you mean resource (memory/CPU) usage, we recently
implemented something like this in the Fair Scheduler.  Either way,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-1290 might be a good starting
point for learning the relevant code on the scheduler side.

cheers
-Sandy