Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/14 23:29:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache Storm 0.9.3

I’d like to get the community’s opinion on releasing 0.9.3 with what is currently in the 0.9.3 branch. This would be the official release (skipping the unofficial rc2).

The only addition I’d like to include is STORM-555, which should be eligible for merging early next week.

Thoughts?

-Taylor

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Storm 0.9.3

Posted by Parth Brahmbhatt <pb...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 [Not binding]

I think we have done a lot testing internally so I am comfortable going out with Storm 0.9.3.

Thanks
Parth

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache Storm 0.9.3

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
STORM-350 has been reverted in the master branch as well.

-Taylor

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Absolutely. I encourage anyone with the resources available to help test any release candidate.

All official Apache releases go through a VOTE process during which the PMC and community at large are encouraged to evaluate and report any issues they find, or vote +1 if they feel the release is solid. If problems are discovered, the vote can be cancelled.

So far several committers who were able to reproduce the STORM-350 problem have confirmed that reverting that commit solved the issue.

-Taylor

Posted by 임정택 <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I would love to see 0.9.3 out. - Bobby

     On Monday, November 17, 2014 3:55 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Thanks for the input Bobby and Nathan. I’ll revert it there as well unless anyone proposes a compelling reason not to.

What are your thoughts on moving forward with the 0.9.3 release?

-Taylor

On Nov 17, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com> wrote:

> I agree, it should be reverted on master until we can figure out what's
> going on.
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to revert it on master too, just so that if anyone decides
>> to use master storm, they have a chance of getting something that, at least
>> as far as we know, works.
>>
>> - Bobby
>>

>>    On Monday, November 17, 2014 2:58 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <
>> ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Okay, I’ve reverted the commit in the 0.9.3 branch. I did not revert it
>> in master.
>>
>> For master we can either choose to revert it there as well, or leave it
>> and continue to look for a root cause. I’m open to either and would like to
>> hear what other people think.
>>
>> In addition to the revert of STORM-350, I also merged the following to the
>> master and 0.9.3 branches:
>>
>> * STORM-558 change "swap!" to "reset!" to fix assignment-versions in
>> supervisor
>> * STORM-555: Storm json response should set charset to UTF-8
>>
>> What are everyone’s thoughts on proceeding with a 0.9.3 release?
>>
>> -Taylor
>>

>> On Nov 17, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Even if we cannot reproduce it in all cases, the change was rather small
>> not totally necessary.  +1 for reverting.
>>> - Bobby
>>>

>>>  On Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:23 PM, Harsha <st...@harsha.io> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am able to reproduce this using Sean's topology. I am +1 on reverting
>>> this.
>>> Thanks,

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the input Bobby and Nathan. I’ll revert it there as well unless anyone proposes a compelling reason not to.

What are your thoughts on moving forward with the 0.9.3 release?

-Taylor

On Nov 17, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com> wrote:

> I agree, it should be reverted on master until we can figure out what's
> going on.
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to revert it on master too, just so that if anyone decides
>> to use master storm, they have a chance of getting something that, at least
>> as far as we know, works.
>>
>> - Bobby
>>

>>     On Monday, November 17, 2014 2:58 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <
>> ptgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Okay, I’ve reverted the commit in the 0.9.3 branch. I did not revert it
>> in master.
>>
>> For master we can either choose to revert it there as well, or leave it
>> and continue to look for a root cause. I’m open to either and would like to
>> hear what other people think.
>>
>> In addition to the revert of STORM-350, I also merged the following to the
>> master and 0.9.3 branches:
>>
>> * STORM-558 change "swap!" to "reset!" to fix assignment-versions in
>> supervisor
>> * STORM-555: Storm json response should set charset to UTF-8
>>
>> What are everyone’s thoughts on proceeding with a 0.9.3 release?
>>
>> -Taylor
>>

>> On Nov 17, 2014, at 11:09 AM, Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Even if we cannot reproduce it in all cases, the change was rather small
>> not totally necessary.  +1 for reverting.
>>> - Bobby
>>>

>>>   On Sunday, November 16, 2014 2:23 PM, Harsha <st...@harsha.io> wrote:
>>>

>>> I am able to reproduce this using Sean's topology. I am +1 on reverting
>>> this.
>>> Thanks,

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.