Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/07/12 15:57:53 UTC

[RELEASE] Contents of OpenOffice 4.1.2

It's time to decide what goes into 4.1.2 and what doesn't. Not in terms
of specific bugfixes (we have the standard process of nominating release
blockers for this and I don't plan to change it), but in terms of
categories. The following is a realistic list of what we can have in
4.1.2. Shall we take it as the overall plan for 4.1.2?

1. Bugfixes

This is obvious: being a bugfix release, OpenOffice 4.1.2 will contain
fixes for the most important/annoying 4.1.1 bugs. Actually 4.1.1 is
proving to be very stable, but we have some bugs fixed on trunk already
(and a few more with patches ready) that should be considered. We'll
come to this in separate discussions.

2. Features

As the release number tells, OpenOffice 4.1.2 is not meant to come with
many new features. But there are two fields where we should make
exceptions and introduce new features:
* Digital signing: Infra has prepared months ago (with significant
investments) the whole infrastructure for us to produce digitally signed
packages, which would install with no problems/warnings for Windows
users. Jan already made some experiments, but he also clarified he will
be very busy with organizing ApacheCon in these months, so we may need
someone to step up here.
* Windows 10: Millions of our users will run Windows 10 within a few
weeks. OpenOffice is reported to work smoothly on Windows 10
pre-releases. Should any major Windows 10 incompatibilities appear, they
should be fixed in 4.1.2.

3. Localization

* Existing translations: Pootle is now tracking the 4.2.0 release, so
translators do not have an immediate way to fix translations for 4.1.2.
There is a possibility to check whether we can reuse the 4.2.0 strings
for 4.1.2, but due to the version clash I would prefer to fix strings
upon request, in the SDF files directly and only in the case of major,
well-defined bugs (example: the Italian version has a typo in a main
menu item; it is fixed in Pootle for 4.2.0 AND we can edit the SDF file
manually to fix it for the 4.1.x line).

* New translations: same problem with Pootle; we don't have any new
translations (additional with respect to 4.1.1) ready at the moment; if
a translation reaches 100%, I'm available to investigate better what we
can do with the Pootle 4.2.0 strings for 4.1.2, since that would be the
most logical solution.

* Existing dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.

* New dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [RELEASE] Contents of OpenOffice 4.1.2

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 19/07/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 12/07/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> * Existing dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
>> deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.
>> * New dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
>> deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.
> We keep dictionaries pending, waiting for the Extensions site to be
> fully available again

The Extensions site has come back to normal operation for a few weeks,
so I now propose, subject to lazy consensus, 16 August as a deadline for
suggesting new/updated dictionaries. Later additions can be considered
depending on other activities, but updates requested by 16 August are
guaranteed to appear in 4.1.2.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 12/07/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> It's time to decide what goes into 4.1.2 and what doesn't.

Thanks for the feedback (some of it will be addressed in separate
threads). I'm coming back to this discussion to actually put a value in
the deadline I had left open.

> 3. Localization
> * Existing translations: Pootle is now tracking the 4.2.0 release, so
> translators do not have an immediate way to fix translations for 4.1.2.
> There is a possibility to check whether we can reuse the 4.2.0 strings
> for 4.1.2, but due to the version clash I would prefer to fix strings
> upon request, in the SDF files directly and only in the case of major,
> well-defined bugs (example: the Italian version has a typo in a main
> menu item; it is fixed in Pootle for 4.2.0 AND we can edit the SDF file
> manually to fix it for the 4.1.x line).

This is now explained better in
http://markmail.org/message/ibg5nllq7ftf6qpv ; the deadline I suggest is
July 31st.

Note that I consider this to be low-priority since this is a x.y.2
release, strings are unchanged and translations were all at 100%; so it
makes sense to only include "blocker" translation bugs in 4.1.2. But I
would definitely be happy if someone has time and knowledge for reusing
the 4.2.0 translations in 4.1.2 in a safe way; just it seems overkill
and technically not optimal.

> * New translations: same problem with Pootle; we don't have any new
> translations (additional with respect to 4.1.1) ready at the moment; if
> a translation reaches 100%, I'm available to investigate better what we
> can do with the Pootle 4.2.0 strings for 4.1.2, since that would be the
> most logical solution.

Same: this is now explained better in
http://markmail.org/message/ibg5nllq7ftf6qpv ; the deadline I suggest is
July 31st.

> * Existing dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
> deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.
> * New dictionaries: no problem, we will integrate them as usual. A
> deadline will be agreed upon and sent to the l10n list.

We keep dictionaries pending, waiting for the Extensions site to be
fully available again; but this is a straightforward fix that does not
require translation volunteers and that can come also late in the
process: we want to minimize the "Dictionary Updates Available" warnings
for new installations.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 13 July 2015 at 10:19, Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:

> With regards to digital signing, we have ‘test’ credits that can be used to
> practice on.

I understood earlier on David, that the credits infra bought last year
would expire this august and he was in doubt
how much he would buy going forward.

Do you have more recent information ?

rgds
jan i.

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
> [...]

>> BTW:
>> Release date of Win10 is July, 29th.
>>
>> 3. Localization
>>>
>>> * Existing translations: Pootle is now tracking the 4.2.0 release, so
>>> translators do not have an immediate way to fix translations for 4.1.2.
>>> There is a possibility to check whether we can reuse the 4.2.0 strings
>>> for 4.1.2, but due to the version clash I would prefer to fix strings
>>> upon request, in the SDF files directly and only in the case of major,
>>> well-defined bugs (example: the Italian version has a typo in a main
>>> menu item; it is fixed in Pootle for 4.2.0 AND we can edit the SDF file
>>> manually to fix it for the 4.1.x line).
>>>

>> This has also the advantage (when we don't get too many change requests)
>> that we know in detail what is changing.
>>
>> Marcus

> Sent from My iPad, sorry for any misspellings.

   (      )\ ) )\ )   )\ )       (                       )                    )

Re: [RELEASE] Contents of OpenOffice 4.1.2

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.