Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Pat Ryan <pr...@cardean.edu> on 2002/09/12 23:55:20 UTC

bookmarking with portlet state

I have a somewhat general Portlet design question that I would imagine
everyone developing portlets must have come across.

We have a page with many portlets on it and we need to support
bookmarking, so we do not want to store all of the necessary data in the
session ( perhaps this is why others wont have this issue ).  When
portlet1 renders, it has no way of knowing what portlet2 might need nor
do I want to couple them in this way.

For example, portlet1 might need the p1_id parameter on its urls and
portlet2 might need the p2_id parameter on its urls.  If I click a link
in portlet2, it will have its data to render the new information, but
p1_id wont be part of the url and therefore portlet1 will likely not
render correctly.

We considered something like:
    ## print out all existing parameters as hidden input fields
    #foreach ($key in $data.getParameters().getKeys())
        <input type="hidden" name="$key"
value="$data.getParameters().getString($key)">
    #end
 but we ended up with duplicate params, or form only params, etc...

As I mentioned, one goal is to allow the user to bookmark the page which
means each portlet could be in different states so I think using the
session to store information is out.

Has anyone else come across this issue and how have you handled it?

Thanks
Pat