Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Chad Johnson <ch...@leary.csoft.net> on 2001/08/16 07:26:49 UTC

Java XSLT performance question

Hey,
  Here's a question that has been bothering me for a few days.  I've been
attempting to utilize XML and XSL as the VIEW portion of MVC (Xerces /
Xalan D9, on linux [p3 500 512ram], tried both sun's and ibm 1.3.x jdk)
for web developement with Java.

What I'm seeing is atleast a 1 second (if not slightly longer) execution
time coupled with a maxed out cpu on a very simple transform (the provided
SimpleTransform sample with striped down xsl and xml files).  Here's the
question:  Is that normal?

I've also run the same app on a win2k box and have had similar results so
I'm lead to believe yes.

If it is normal, the obvious conclusion is that web developemnt utlizing a
transform per page view just isn't feasable.  Am I making a correct
assumption?

I'm by no means a Java or XML/XSL guru so feel free to slap me around bit.

-Chad Johnson

RE: Java XSLT performance question

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
Are you parsing the stylesheet with each page view?  This will cause the
delay.

I don't think it's the fastest but I'm doing fairly complex transforms in ~
.1s on a similar box

Al

http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/usagepatterns.html#embed