Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2006/01/25 00:40:10 UTC

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 13:54 -0500, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
> *note: I'm resending this message as I don't believe it showed up on
> general@incubator.

Lawrence please don't send to general@ and a private list (the PMC
lists). That's against Apache email netiquette ..

Unless I am mistaken your mail did make it to general@.

Sanjiva.

Release process ( Was Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24)

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
In
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3cC5C127EF-E3AB-4D72-A0B8-54FB51923A05@gbiv.com%3e

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>
>> Sanjiva,
>>
>> Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional.  I had
>> previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc
>> lists
>> and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.
>>
>> To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to
>> release a
>> milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate  guidance
>> from the community. The information I have is to:
>>
>> 1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's  mailing
>> list.
>> 2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS  pmcs by
>> sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
>> general@incubator.
>
> All release votes must be made on public lists.  Even if people say
> yes in private, they still need to vote in public.  So, you should
> hold a vote on woden-dev and then send a summary of that vote to
> general@incubator, saying pointedly that you need X more +1 votes
> from incubator PMC members within 72 hours.
>
>> Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.
>
> Minimum three binding (official PMC) +1 votes and a majority of all
> votes being positive.  Releases do not need consensus.

I logged INCUBATOR-14 to remind myself to improve the info at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases .
I think even a little more clarification in this section would be helpful.

I'll start a [doc] thread for this after the Incubator site conversion
[1] settles down. (Existence of the Jira issue will keep me from
forgetting.)

-jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200601.mbox/%3c20060129052435.GA261@igg.indexgeo.com.au%3e

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Paul

On 1/25/06, Roy T. Fielding <fi...@gbiv.com> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Lawrence Mandel wrote:
>
> > Sanjiva,
> >
> > Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional.
> > I had
> > previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc
> > lists
> > and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to
> > release a
> > milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate
> > guidance
> > from the community. The information I have is to:
> >
> > 1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's
> > mailing
> > list.
> > 2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS
> > pmcs by
> > sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
> > general@incubator.
>
> All release votes must be made on public lists.  Even if people say
> yes in private, they still need to vote in public.  So, you should
> hold a vote on woden-dev and then send a summary of that vote to
> general@incubator, saying pointedly that you need X more +1 votes
> from incubator PMC members within 72 hours.
>
> > Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.
>
> Minimum three binding (official PMC) +1 votes and a majority of all
> votes being positive.  Releases do not need consensus.
>
> ....Roy

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [vote] Request approval to declare Woden 1.0.0 M3 Candidate by EOD Jan. 24

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Sanjiva,

Sorry about violating Apache netiquette. This was not intentional. I had
previously been asked to send this vote to the incubator and ws pmc lists
and was advised to send it to the general@incubator list as well.

To be honest, I'm feeling pretty lost wrt the correct process to release a
milestone driver from an incubator project and would appreciate guidance
from the community. The information I have is to:

1. Hold a vote amongst the project's committers on the project's mailing
list.
2. Request approval from the incubator and, in Woden's case, WS pmcs by
sending an e-mail requesting a vote to pmc@ws, pmc@incubator, and
general@incubator.

Assuming no negative votes, the milestone can be released.

I think it would be useful to formally declare this process on the
incubator site so all incubator projects have a defined process to follow.

BTW, as you said that my mail did make it to general@incubator and
pmc@incubator, have you seen any replies? I have yet to see one.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel