Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org> on 2008/03/28 03:22:55 UTC

[drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Is there any specific reason we're still on apr/apr-util 1.2.6?

I'm trying to get things running on Leopard and it seems 1.2.12 is
necessity. How do we want to approach such an upgrade?

I noticed that the apr-iconv is also a bit out of date.

-Nathan

Re: [drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.
Nathan Beyer said the following on 31.03.2008 4:57:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Gregory Shimansky
> <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 29 марта 2008 Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>  > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Alexey Varlamov
>>  >
>>  > <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > > 2008/3/28, Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>:
>>  > > > Is there any specific reason we're still on apr/apr-util 1.2.6?
>>  > >
>>  > >  I guess the opposite, there were no specific reasons to upgrade so far.
>>  >
>>  > True, but it would be nice to eliminate custom patches, if possible.
>>  >
>>  > >  > I'm trying to get things running on Leopard and it seems 1.2.12 is
>>  > >  > necessity. How do we want to approach such an upgrade?
>>  > >
>>  > >  Looking through APR patches if they're still actual/compatible and
>>  > >  testing, the more the better - should be enough.
>>  >
>>  > Is anyone familiar with the current patches? Any specific tests that
>>  > might be considered regression tests for those patches?
>>
>>  I created a patch for working_vm/make/resources/patches/apr/misc/win32/env.c.
>>  The problem was with apr_env_get when the requested variable is defined but
>>  has no value (empty string). APR used to treat it as an undefined variable.
>>  The test exists in VM acceptance tests but it requires the system to have a
>>  variable defined in such way (I encountered the bug on a new windows
>>  installation with no printer, it had PRINTER variable defined as "").
>
> Was this change made on top of 1.2.6 or a different version? This bit
> of code seems to be the major difference between the patch and 1.2.12.
>
>         if (size == 0)
>             /* Mid-air collision?. Somebody must've changed the env. var. */
>             return APR_INCOMPLETE;
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/make/resources/patches/apr/misc/win32/env.c?view=markup
>
> This check doesn't exist in 1.2.12.

I made this change on top of the current version of APR used in VM, that
is 1.2.6. If we take version 1.2.12 as is we should make sure that
kernel test j.l.SystemTest.testGetenv works when some environment
variable is defined with an empty value.

--
Gregory

Re: [drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.
Nathan Beyer said the following on 02.04.2008 5:47:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
>>  > On 1 April 2008 Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>  >  > I've just finished testing on Win x86 with the new apr code and no
>>  >  > patches. All of the kernel.test, smoke.test, reg.test and cunit.test
>>  >  > pass without failure or error.
>>  >  >
>>  >  > If there's no objection, I'm going to update to the latest apr source
>>  >  > and remove the patches tonight.
>>  >
>>  >  Just to make sure, did you define some environment variable with no string
>>  >  value ("" empty string) before running kernel tests?
>>  >
>>  >
>>  No - i'll give that a try and see what happens.
>>  -Nathan
>
> I must be an idiot, but how do you do this? On WinXP, when I "set
> BAD_VAR=", nothing is added. When I set an existing variable, it's
> removed from the environment. Is this something that can be done on
> other versions of Windows?

Hmm indeed. The funny thing I is that I cannot reproduce it myself.
Looks like such variables are not allowed to be set in legal ways. But I
do remember that windows set that PRINTER variable to have no value when
no printer was defined...

Ok, I think we are safe to go with APR 1.2.12. If someone encounters
this bug again we'll know where to look.

--
Gregory

Re: [drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@apache.org>.

--
Gregory

Re: [drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2008/4/1, Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>:
> I've just finished testing on Win x86 with the new apr code and no
> patches. All of the kernel.test, smoke.test, reg.test and cunit.test
> pass without failure or error.
>
> If there's no objection, I'm going to update to the latest apr source
> and remove the patches tonight.
>
> -Nathan

Looks like I'm a bit late, but still - IIRC the win patches were
targeted to fix thread conditional variables impl, which might cause
CPU starvation on contention. This was reproducible on some Eclipse
scenarios - so let's see if we've got new hang issues in CC.
BTW, we already have a new reason to upgrade to next APR version after
it is released: see parallel thread about VC2008 compilation errors.

--
Alexey

Re: [drlvm] upgrade apr, apr-util to 1.2.12

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
I applied the apr updates at revision r643691 and r643693; in case
there are major issues.

-Nathan