Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com> on 2005/05/12 03:49:20 UTC

[VOTE] Commit Policy on 2.2.x

I propose the following policy apply to the 2.2.x branch, once (and if)
it is created:

Before GA: A 'soft' CTR.  Any small bug fixes can be directly committed.
  Any API changes must be reviewed by the list. (lazy consensus).  Any
large changes must get voted on.

After first GA: Standard RTC, as done on 2.0.x.

Re: [VOTE] Commit Policy on 2.2.x

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:49 PM -0700 Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>
wrote:

> I propose the following policy apply to the 2.2.x branch, once (and if)
> it is created:
>
> Before GA: A 'soft' CTR.  Any small bug fixes can be directly committed.
>   Any API changes must be reviewed by the list. (lazy consensus).  Any
> large changes must get voted on.

Per my previous email that I sent to the list a while back, I would prefer
that a stabilization branch require that binary API changes get prior approval
through RTC (i.e. *not* lazy consensus).  Any changes that are committed to
the trunk during this process that do not modify the binary API can be
committed via lazy consensus (i.e. CTR).

The governing factor is changes to the API must be voted on before it can be
merged into the stabilization branch.

> After first GA: Standard RTC, as done on 2.0.x.

+1.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] Commit Policy on 2.2.x

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Paul Querna wrote:

> I propose the following policy apply to the 2.2.x branch, once (and if)
> it is created:
>
> Before GA: A 'soft' CTR.  Any small bug fixes can be directly committed.
>   Any API changes must be reviewed by the list. (lazy consensus).  Any
> large changes must get voted on.

According to my other mail, I'm going to apply your suggestion to a 2.1.x
branch:

I see a problem with it in general: Who decides if it is a small bugfix or
something bigger? Since our test suite is far from being complete and the
code is full of side effects *I* would not like to be the one to decide
such things ;-)

I tend to vote -1 on CTR in whatever flavor on stable and stabilizing
branches (except documentation, comments and text-only changes, FWIW).

nd
--
Winnetous Erbe: <http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>