Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Garner, Shawn" <sh...@pearson.com> on 2005/11/16 20:12:17 UTC

DTD files in lib of struts download

I had a question about the .dtd files in the lib directory when I downloaded
the struts 1.2.7.

Do I need the .dtd files or are they optional?  I never had any in my
project before I don't think.

Shawn

If you were not an intended recipient,

Re: DTD files in lib of struts download

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/05, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:

> I had a question about the .dtd files in the lib directory when I downloaded
> the struts 1.2.7.
>
> Do I need the .dtd files or are they optional?  I never had any in my
> project before I don't think.

They are just provided for convenience, you don't need to include them
in your project.

If you look in struts.jar, you'll find the dtds in
/org/apache/struts/resources.  Those files will be used by the
framework.

This does, however, give me an opening to show everyone the LiveDTD
HTML-formatted versions:
   http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-config/1_2/
   http://struts.apache.org/dtds/tiles-config/1_1/

The links go to the elements themselves, you need to scroll up to read
the documentation for that element. And we're evaluating one other
tool to create these, (DTDDoc,) hoping that it can be integrated with
Maven.  For that reason, these URLs may not be permanent.

HTH,
Wendy

Re: DTD files in lib of struts download

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 11/16/05, Garner, Shawn <sh...@pearson.com> wrote:

> I had a question about the .dtd files in the lib directory when I
> downloaded
> the struts 1.2.7.
>
> Do I need the .dtd files or are they optional? I never had any in my
> project before I don't think.

You are not required to include the dtd files in your application, because a
copy is embedded inside struts.jar already. However, the DTD does contain a
lot of documentation about what elements and attributes you can define, so
it is worth reading (especially when you update to a new version, to see
what has changed).

Shawn

Craig