Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/13 17:17:47 UTC

Geronimo twitter account

All,
I've created a project Twitter account -- http://twitter.com/ASFGeronimo (Geronimo and ApacheGeronimo were taken)

Thoughts? I've somewhat optimistically labeled it as the "Official Twitter feed of the Apache Geronimo project". The account is currently registered under a private email address. Assuming we like the idea of having a project Twitter account, we can create a project email address, and share the Twitter/email password within the PMC -- allowing PMC members to Tweet "Geronimo" news, etc. Any suggestions on how to better manage this would be welcome...

We may want some controls/guidelines in place about information that we should be tweeting. However, I don't expect too much of a problem. Most information will be mirroring news/blogs/releases that we'd be publishing via other mediums, anyway... Shortened urls should be created using Apache's URI shortening service -- http://s.apache.org/ . IMO, Geronimo tweets should be specific to the Geronimo project, though we may advertise ASF news, also...

Any objections to the project hosting a Twitter account, please speak up...

--kevan

Re: Geronimo twitter account

Posted by raboyles <ra...@gmail.com>.

kevan wrote:

> I've created a project Twitter account -- http://twitter.com/ASFGeronimo
> (Geronimo and ApacheGeronimo were taken)

It is possible to re-acquire accounts from cyber squatters and inactive
accounts. I have colleagues and friends who have been successful with doing
this. I have contacts at Twitter to pursue if you strongly prefer one of
these names such as @ApacheGeronimo.

kevan wrote:

> Thoughts? I've somewhat optimistically labeled it as the "Official Twitter
> feed of the Apache Geronimo project". The account is currently registered
> under a private email address. Assuming we like the idea of having a
> project Twitter account, we can create a project email address, and share
> the Twitter/email password within the PMC -- allowing PMC members to Tweet
> "Geronimo" news, etc. Any suggestions on how to better manage this would
> be welcome...

I am very experienced with managing multiple twitter accounts and with
multiple twitter "users" for an account. I do not recommend sharing a single
email identity because there are tools where you can manage your personal
twitter account and participate as a team / group member on this account
with email workflow as an on-duty user, built-in search, archiving,
scheduling (very useful) etc. This can be done with a Twitter dashboard
website such as Cotweet.com or Tap11.com. I use Cotweet now to manage
multiple twitter accounts with teams for other work projects. One person can
be the admin or multiples and that person invites and grants rights. I am
happy to work with you on this as time permits and provide a demo if you are
interested.

kevan wrote:

> We may want some controls/guidelines in place about information that we
> should be tweeting. However, I don't expect too much of a problem. Most
> information will be mirroring news/blogs/releases that we'd be publishing
> via other mediums, anyway... Shortened urls should be created using
> Apache's URI shortening service -- http://s.apache.org/ . IMO, Geronimo
> tweets should be specific to the Geronimo project, though we may advertise
> ASF news, also...

A simple guideline is good. Good to include a communication plan to scope
responsibilities / provide responses during given periods. Some etiquette
references would be helpful also.

Are there analytics provided by the Apache URL shortener? Do you have sample
data to share?

-- ryan

-----
ryan boyles, ibm software