Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au> on 2003/01/01 13:30:22 UTC

Re: Problem reading large jtl file

Mike,

It is an Aggregate Reporter that I am using.

I eventually noticed a couple of OutOfMemoryExceptions sitting in the
console window used to start JMeter.  After upping mx to 256m, then 300m and
then finally to 512m it was eventually able to load all 57MB of jtl data.
Windows task manager shows 350MB of memory in use and that almost 15 minutes
of CPU time were used to load the file (on a paltry by today's standards
dual Celeron 500 machine).

I'll take a stab in the dark and suggest that the jtl file is being read
using a dom style parser (reads the entire tree into memory before dishing
the data out) rather than a sax parser (which can dish the data out and
dispose of it as it reads the file).  I'll add a note to check this to my
steadily growing list of JMeter bugs and enhancements.

Thanks,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
JMeter uses Avalon's Configuration code to save jtl's, and yes it is dom-style.  The
solution is that the jtl files need to be in a format other than xml - it's just not well
suited.  CSV files would be better.

-Mike

On 1 Jan 2003 at 23:30, Scott Eade wrote:

> Mike,
>
> It is an Aggregate Reporter that I am using.
>
> I eventually noticed a couple of OutOfMemoryExceptions sitting in the
> console window used to start JMeter.  After upping mx to 256m, then 300m and
> then finally to 512m it was eventually able to load all 57MB of jtl data.
> Windows task manager shows 350MB of memory in use and that almost 15 minutes
> of CPU time were used to load the file (on a paltry by today's standards
> dual Celeron 500 machine).
>
> I'll take a stab in the dark and suggest that the jtl file is being read
> using a dom style parser (reads the entire tree into memory before dishing
> the data out) rather than a sax parser (which can dish the data out and
> dispose of it as it reads the file).  I'll add a note to check this to my
> steadily growing list of JMeter bugs and enhancements.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott
> --
> Scott Eade
> Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.
> http://www.backstagetech.com.au
> .Mac Chat/AIM: seade at mac dot com
>

> On 31/12/2002 12:53 AM, "Mike Stover" <ms...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Which visualizer are you trying to open it with?  I would suggest trying the
> > aggregate reporter since it uses the least memory (avoid the tree results
> > visualizers), and let JMeter work on it for a long time - the operation of
> > opening jtl
> > files is sadly, very slow.
> >
> > -Mike

Michael Stover