Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/03/25 23:11:11 UTC

Re: log4j 1.1.x vs log4j 1.2.x

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 18:01, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I just tried upgrading my log4j version that Scarab uses because I need to
> use a NullAppender which was added after 1.1.x and I got this exception:
>
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
>         at org.apache.turbine.Log.init(Log.java:111)
>         at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.configure(Turbine.java:592)
>         at org.apache.turbine.Turbine.init(Turbine.java:182)
>         at org.apache.turbine.TurbineConfig.init(TurbineConfig.java:177)
>
>         Enumeration e =
>             Category.getDefaultHierarchy().getCurrentCategories();
>
> Looks like the Category class has been turned into the Logging class...so, I
> guess my question is whether or not we should make the effort to switch
> Turbine to the commons-logging stuff or upgrade Log4J?

The general movement has been toward common-logging. In order to appease
a wider range of users and to allow easier integration with things like
Struts and Cocoon I believe that the commons-logging API is the way to
go.

> -jon

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: log4j 1.1.x vs log4j 1.2.x

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 03:11  PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> The general movement has been toward common-logging. In order to appease
> a wider range of users and to allow easier integration with things like
> Struts and Cocoon I believe that the commons-logging API is the way to
> go.

+1