Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Lang Yang <ya...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/16 06:51:37 UTC

[GSoC] Progress Report

Hello guys,

Today is the pencils down date of GSoC program, and the final evaluation
will be started shortly. I’d like to take this chance to make a summary for
my project.

In this program, I have submitted 30 patches to complete the missing
functionalities in the ImageIO package (some of them are still waiting to be
committed, as Alexei, my mentor, is on vacation and has no access to
Internet).  Once these patches are merged to the trunk, all missing methods
listed on the JAPI comparison page, that are related to ImageIO package,
will be implemented. Some partially implemented functionalities were also
discovered after the mid-term evaluation, and right now they have already
been implemented. So I think from the perspective of completeness, it’s safe
to say that the package is completed.

I have also made a few contributions to the org.apache.harmony.imageio.*
plug-ins. The image format specification is a little bit troublesome though,
more research is needed in order to make more contributions about it.

Overall, it was quite an experience, I enjoyed the time that spent on this
project. Although I had encountered some problems, it’s your help that I was
able to resolve them. I learned a lot from this project. Thanks everyone who
helped me, especially my mentor – Alexei, a great mentor indeed. It’s really
rewarding to work with you guys.

My following plan is to take a break before school starts, and see what else
contribution I could do for Harmony. What are the conditions to become a
committer by the way? :-D

Thanks,

Lang

Re: [GSoC] Progress Report

Posted by Lang Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Lang Yang wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for taking time to commit my patches. I just realized that
> > these changes have only got into hdk5 trunk. I forgot to provide
> > another version patches for hdk6. Is there any easy way to sync my
> > patches to hdk6? If not, I will get new patches for hdk6.
>
> Thanks for the patches.  It is great to see concise patches addressing
> clearly defined issues.  You have done a great job of working with the
> community during your project; your work will be a good example to
> future GSoC students.
>
> I've merged the commits of your patches to the java6 branch now.

Thanks Mark.
I have created a new patch for two java6 only methods. Please see JIRA
HARMONY-6626

> Lang Yang also wrote:
> >
> > My following plan is to take a break before school starts,
>
> Enjoy your break and best wishes with your studies.
>
> > and see what else contribution I could do for Harmony.
>
> I'm sure you find plenty that needs doing but if you want some ideas
> don't hesitate to ask.  I'd certainly value your continued involvement.
>
> > What are the conditions to become a committer by the way? :-D
>
> The PMC vote on new committers.  How people vote is down to the
> individual PMC members.  However, I tend to look for:
>
> 1) contribution of good patches,
>
> 2) contributions on the mailing list - helping other contributors,
> constructive input on matters raised, etc., and
>
> 3) evidence that the contributor understands the goals of the project.
>
> You have made significant progress on all counts.  Keep up the good
> work.

Thanks for letting me know. I would love to contribute!

Re: [GSoC] Progress Report

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [GSoC] Progress Report

Posted by Lang Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.