Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Antony Joseph <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/06 10:59:02 UTC

pylucene packaging size

Hello,

I use pylucene in my application and package it into an exe using
tg2exe (which uses py2exe internally).

With Lucene 2.9.x, the size of the installable would be about 35MB;
this time I used Lucene 3.6.0 and the installable size has gone up to
54MB!!!

This is simply too large and inconvenient for a user. Any ideas why
there is such a size increase?

Any suggestions on how to keep the packaged size small.

Thank you.

Antony

Re: pylucene packaging size

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:59, Antony Joseph <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use pylucene in my application and package it into an exe using
> tg2exe (which uses py2exe internally).
>
> With Lucene 2.9.x, the size of the installable would be about 35MB;
> this time I used Lucene 3.6.0 and the installable size has gone up to
> 54MB!!!
>
> This is simply too large and inconvenient for a user. Any ideas why
> there is such a size increase?

Lucene has grown over the years.

> Any suggestions on how to keep the packaged size small.

But it's also become more modular. To reduce the size of the package start by removing lucene modules you don't need by commenting them out in the PyLucene Makefile. For example, do you need all the language support ?
Then, if it's still too big, try trimming things out of Lucene itself, although this might be more difficult.

You can also make the PyLucene generated code snaller by only generating wrappers for classes you use from Python instead of all public classes as is done by default.

Andi..