Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org> on 2009/03/12 19:50:58 UTC

Name change (again)

Per this thread:

http://www.jsecurity.org/node/1081#comment-289

It appears that we can't use Ki.

So far the development team seems to be happy with "Apache Security API",
which can have (good) far reaching implications for a good quality
framework.  Any objections?

- Les

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.
What is the vision for JSecurity?  Where is it heading? Is it a firm
intention to support more than Java?

There are so many good points about the impact of the name on
perceptions of the system that it might be worth having another
discussion about what the system is, and how it is desired to be perceived?

Ben

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
That was sort of the point though.  Web 2.0y names are always obscure,
specifically because they don't have any existing name conflicts.  Twitter,
Hadoop, Gump, etc, etc.  They are purposefully obscure.  In JSecurity's
case, there wasn't a single English language security word that we felt was
viable that wasn't already taken or in use, so we had to resort to obscure
names.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Tim Veil <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>wrote:

> Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>
>> Uh huh.. per that thread though, it doesn't sound like Ki is completely
>> out
>> of limits. Especially if this is branded as Apache Ki, I think there's
>> very
>> little possibility for confusion with "Ki certification".
>>

> I won't pay some lawyer on my own money to have the pleasure to use Apache
> Ki. Nor will The ASF... Do you have a few ten of thousands $ just to bet ?

Is it up for a bet? I'm just saying that if that thread was the only
discussion on it, it looked indecisive. If Les had more private discussion
with the company's representatives then it'd be entirely different matter.
Have you or anybody asked ASF legal? If legal is not available for exactly
these types of questions, then I don't know what its purpose is.

Kalle

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder!  I'll see if I can squeeze that in (I
might have to work tomorrow :/)

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> What is the PRC? and what is the mailing list that I should post to? :)

Oops, sorry, I forgot to gave the information :/ PRC is Press Release
Comitee, they are the one in charge for everything about brand. So the
mailing list is prc@apache.org. Just send a mail mentionnaing a quick
history about the name selection. It would be helpfull to give them some
feedback about the reasons why we wanted to change the name to Ki and
why we currently have another issue with this name. As they won't read
the full thread (200 mails !), keep it as short as possible, as neutral
as possible, and as factual as possible, in order for them to be able to
give us valuable advices.

Many thanks Lez for hanlding that ! Sorry for not doing it myself, I
have a train to take in half an hour.

Let's kill the issue fast. It has last far too much ...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
What is the PRC? and what is the mailing list that I should post to? :)

Thanks!

Les

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
No worries Ben :)  I hope you enjoy using it!

Cheers,

Les

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Ben,

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Ben <be...@autonomic.net> wrote:
> You have had feedback, you've just ignored it :-p

>From PRC ? It might have been sent privately to Les, then. I'm
following the PRC ML and saw nothing so far ...

Do you mind posting the feedback to the jsecurity-dev ML ?

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
I will try to ping PRC again this week. They where probably having some
rest after a few weeks of crazy work due to the 10 years announcement...

However, I have just a crazy idea : why about concatenating both
existing name : ki-security ? We could then keep the JIRA, mailing list
and such, people who used JSecurity would not be too much lost, the same
for those using Ki right now, and we probably be safe from the name
collision POV.

Otherwise, I agree with Les that we should solve this problem asap.

Btw, the april report is due by april, 8th...

Thanks !

Les Hazlewood wrote:
> I'm bumping this due to a thread on the user list and would like
> clarification.  It seems as if we've had a decent amount of time to allow
> for feedback on the new name, but we haven't received any.
>
> Can we put this name issue behind us and move forward?  I think we're
> perfectly fine given that most references are to "Apache Ki" and there are
> no C&D communications from anyone - let's face it, you're never going to be
> free and clear from *potential* naming issues unless you have a project name
> that is completely random does not make any sense at all.  Given that our
> domain is totally different from the one single potential issue, and that
> there is no Trademark or Patent under that name, and no one from Legal or
> PRC has said anything to indicate we should rename (again), I really don't
> think this is an issue.  I can also file for the Trademark if it makes our
> mentors feel better.
>
> I'm of the opinion that we need to move forward asap - this is really
> hurting the project's momentum, and it looks bad bad in the community - I'm
> sure our existing users feel like they're in 'limbo' because they don't have
> a definitive answer.  I hate to think of the repercussions this would have
> on the project community if it lasts much longer.
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 27, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>>
>>>  Ok,

>>> Running this by Public Relations?!?!?!  How odd.
>>>

>> Yes, I know, but this is what I have been told by Bill Rowen Sander Striker
>> and Sally... Maybe because Larry Rosen is on this list, and because names is
>> a PRC issue somehow.
>>

>> --
>> --
>> cordialement, regards,
>> Emmanuel Lécharny
>> www.iktek.com
>> directory.apache.org

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Mar 27, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> Ok,
>
> I just discussed with Bill Rowe (one of the board member) about the
> name issue. Here is his thought about it :
> - jsecurity, cool name, but might not worth fighting against Juniper
> - Ki, he would like to get a copy of the C&D letter forwarded to
> PRC, where the trademark matters are being discussed.
>
> So basically, let's first post this letter to PRC (if not already
> done), and start discuss this there.

Running this by Public Relations?!?!?!  How odd.

Regards,
Alanm

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
There is no C&D notification of any sort, which is why I doubt this is an
issue - different IP domain entirely and NO registered trademarks or
patents.  If you look at the email post (http://jsecurity.org/node/1081),
what he's really saying is "we expect that a different name would be chosen
as to not confuse members of either community", say, when seeing google
search listings.

They never said "please don't use it", or "you can't use it".  There is no
C&D.  I responded to him and refuted the claim of 'similar branding' (there
isn't any at all). I haven't received any response.

If they had an attorney I wonder if the attorney would say that they
couldn't send a C&D because of the dramatically different domain and they
don't even have a Trademark on which to base it.  IANAL, so it'd be nice to
have a lawyer confirm.

Heck, if I knew how much it costs do file a Trademark on the name and the
costs are not prohibitive, I'll just buy it and donate it to the ASF.

Re: Name change (again)

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.
This company, whatever they really do/are, knows about the project and
has asked it not to use the name Ki.
This means it is likely (greater than a 0% probability) they will
legally challenge the name.
My first view is that the project needs a solid legal opinion, from a
legal expert, about whether there is a potential conflict here.

My second opinion is that the Ki name was a close call in the vote
(certainly not a firm favorite). Now that this issue has focused minds a
little bit, I think it makes sense to have another go - only this time
why not throw the net out.  A community call for a new name with the
backdrop of being hassled by commercial companies would get coverage on
slashdot / theregister.co.uk / techcrunch. Filter out all the crap
comments that are bound to follow, and I'd bet there will be a few gems.
This process needn't take long.

My final opinion is :

"kiSecurity"

Over and out.

Ben

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi Kalle,

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
HAHAHAHA, now I can see that.  That's funny :)

Well, I'm definitely open to more suggestions for alternate names.  I
personally think that Aseca is the best route and that we should go with
that, barring any better suggestions.

If that doesn't work for everyone, I think we might be stuck with a total
gibberish name.  I guess I'd be ok with that as long as it is easy to
pronounce.  (e.g. Hadoop sounds just weird - ending on a consonant.  I
wouldn't want something like that)

Mentors and other devs, what do you think?  Would Aseca work?  If not, what
are some of your suggestions?

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Ben <be...@autonomic.net>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Mar 13, 2009, at 1:14 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>>
>>> Per this thread:
>>>
>>> http://www.jsecurity.org/node/1081#comment-289
>>>
>>> It appears that we can't use Ki.
>>>
>>> So far the development team seems to be happy with "Apache
>>> Security API",
>>> which can have (good) far reaching implications for a good quality
>>> framework.  Any objections?
>>
>> I think it implies that this project is happy to include all java
>> security work at apache.  For instance, would you be happy to
>> include a xamcl jacc implementation that did not use your Subject
>> but rather the JAAS subject?  It would certainly be a java security
>> implementation but AFAICT has little to no overlap with what you
>> are doing now.
>>
>> I think it also has a connotation that apache has somehow approved
>> your api and all projects needing java security  are expected to
>> use it.
>>
>> Dunno if anyone else gets these ideas from the name but I do.  And
>> I'm certainly not implying anything about the nature or quality of
>> this project.... just that naming one project for the entire field
>> of which it is an example may not be without problems and
>> implications.
> There is some implication that need to be overviewed, that's for
> sure. Now, we may need a general security umbrella for many
> different project related to security. This could be a good starting
> point.

I agree with David's observations.

I totally disagree that we need a security umbrella.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hahaha :)

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> We could just call it Apache Simple Security.  Now... what would the JIRA
> key for that be?

HOLE ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
I agree Tim, but what would that name be without potentially sounding like
we might be a clearing house in ASF for all things security?  That's the
trick...

We could just call it Apache Simple Security.  Now... what would the JIRA
key for that be?

;)

Sorry, I needed a little levity :)

What about Aplok? (APpLication LOcK)

That seems to be clear of USPTO patents and trademarks, and I don't see any
relevant google results....

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Tim Veil <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Erik Beeson wrote:
> Dagasi seems awfully similar to Acegi to me...

What about "qsmocfijzeoiec" ? ;)

PS: you may get a different result on a qwerty keyboard...

ASECA seems just good to me. Just wondering if we could be sued by
Madoff, as he is certainly a member of the SEC alumni... Is he ?

Last, not least, I have to say that Alan and David may be right about
the Security umbrella. I'm not sure that it's not a bit too wide for
just JSecurity. Forget about my idea.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Erik Beeson <er...@gmail.com>.
Dagasi seems awfully similar to Acegi to me...
--Erik

Re: Name change (again)

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Les Hazlewood wrote:
> Oooh... I kinda like Dagasi or Achan.
>
> Where did you execute this search?  Are Cherokee or Navajo langauges
> classified as Apache languages (I'm just curious - I don't know much about
> them).  I thought the Apache language was separate (but I have no idea
> really)...

I just did a quick google search on
http://www.yourdictionary.com/languages/north.html

AFAICT, Apache is a separate language, but should we restrict our search
for a meaningful but available name to Apache ?

Dagasi sounds quite cool. It was the very first one I found related to
security terms...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com