Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Martin Poeschl <mp...@marmot.at> on 2003/12/05 19:04:52 UTC

definition for autoincrement handling

i could not find a definition how autoincrement should be handled for
sql generation ...
at the moment it seems to depend on the used rdbms ...

for postgres we use sequences to create the ids even if they are not
defined as autoincrement, while we use SERIAL for other autoincrement
columns ...

for other rdbms the pks have to be defined as autoincrement ... and only
pks support autoincrement ...

i think it's time to define how it works

here are some questions:

* support autoincrement only for pks?
* what is the prefered way to generate ids for postgresql?
* if idMethod=native | idbroker, ignore autoincrement for pks and always
auto increment?