Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org> on 2020/08/07 12:56:15 UTC

Your project's website

Hi:

I am part of the Infrastructure team, and am writing to ask whether your
project is still using the Apache CMS for your project website. As you
know, the CMS is reaching end-of-life, and we need projects to move their
websites onto a different option within the next few weeks.

There are several alternatives available, including those listed on this
page [1] on managing project websites. Infra is assembling a Wiki page [2]
on migrating a website from the CMS, and is looking forward to helping
projects with this transition.

Please let me know whether your site is still on the Apache CMS and, if so,
who will be the project point-of-contact with Infra for the migration.

Thank you!

[1] https://infra.apache.org/project-site.html

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS

--
Andrew Wetmore
Technical Writer-Editor

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Choosing a website technology

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi Martin,

I maintain several Jekyll sites. It's by far the easiest to find resources for deploying on GitHub Pages. It shouldn't be too different from deploying on ASF new CMS infra. Whoever wants to test it locally, needs to install Ruby. Or you can deploy to your own fork using GitHub Pages.

For OpenNLP they chose JBake. I helped a bit with the migration, and remember struggling a bit, but it wasn't too bad. It was a bit different than Jekyll, but being able to use Maven was helpful. To run locally you need Java and Maven only.

Jena has moved to Hugo some months ago, before the CMS switch at ASF. The syntax and how to run are different from Jekyll and OpenNLP. I wasn't involved in the migration, but edited some pages, and was able to write docs without having to google anything. Just looked at the `README` in the project for instructions how to build, and looked at other pages for reference. Hugo was so far the fastest to build and run (Jekyll can be really fast if you use few/no plug-ins and have simple layouts).

Other than that I heard some friends using Pelican I think. And I used PieCrust (small Python static site generator) before.

I would suggest Jekyll or Hugo. Happy to help in the next days/weeks as I have some spare time too.

Cheers
Bruno

On Tuesday, 11 August 2020, 8:41:39 pm NZST, Martin Desruisseaux <de...@apache.org> wrote:

Hello all

We need to move the http://sis.apache.org/ web site to a new technology.
Options cited by ASF infra are:

  * Jekyll
  * Pelican and Buildbot
  * GitHub Pages
  * Jenkins builder
  * jbake, a Java based, open source, static site/blog generator
  * Hugo, a static-site generator
  * Other (above list is not exclusive)

I have no preference since I have very few knowledge in website design.
Is there any preference or recommendation from peoples in this list? If
none, I would be inclined to go with Pelican because it seems similar to
current CMS.

More information are there:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/Migrate+your+project+website+from+the+Apache+CMS

    Martin

Choosing a website technology

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Andrew

We have a prototype of Apache SIS source files migrated to Hugo system
[1]. Before to create a task on INFRA, I would like to verify if I'm
understanding the steps correctly:

  * We would create a new Git repository on [2] named "sis-site". Is
    that right?
  * That repository would contain the following branches, is that right?
      o master or main or trunk: the markdown source files.
      o asf-staging: HTML files generated by Hugo from the sources, to
        be published in preview domain.
      o asf-site: files published in production domain. I presume this
        branch is updated by marging asf-staging into asf-site.
      o javadoc: static HTML files generated by javadoc.

Above cited branches would be published in following domains, is that right?

  * asf-staging: http://sis.staging.apache.org/
  * asf-site: http://sis.apache.org/
  * javadoc: http://sis.apache.org/apidocs/index.html

What happen to the following repositories?

  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sis/site/trunk/
  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/staging/sis/trunk/content/
  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/sis/content/

We do not plan to use Jenkins at this time. Hugo would be executed
manually on the developer machine for medium terms.

Is there anything above which is incorrect?

     Thanks,

         Martin

[1] https://github.com/kinow/sis-site-draft
[2] https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/newrepo.html

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi!

You sound very busy.

Yes, if the CMS were to stop functioning right now, the static websites for
each project would remain in place. It would just be harder to edit them
and MUCH harder to update the site, as a migration to a new tech would
have to happen first.

Let us know if there is any info we can provide that would help you. We
can, for instance, point you to other projects using the various tech
options we have recommended, if you want to use them as a template or
consult with them about their experience.

Andrew.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Andrew

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi, all, and happy New Year!

Is there any news on the migration of your project website off the CMS? Any
information Infra can provide?

Andrew

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi!

Yes, it sounds like the migration will be less complex than what some
projects are facing.

The next steps would be for the PMC to agree on what technology to move the
site to. A lot of projects use Pelican or Hugo, but there are many other
static-site generators available. You can also open a Jira ticket for INFRA
to cover the work involved in this move. That way the Infra team can be
ready to help.

Andrew

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>