Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by ZhangJian He <sh...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/15 14:51:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Add Pulsar io Pulsar connector

Dear all

My team are suggesting some of our customers use pulsar instead of kafka
for their needs.
Before, my team used a pulsar-io-kafka-connector, now my team wants to use
a pulsar-io-to-pulsar-connector server for these customers.

And I notice now we don't have a pulsar-io-pulsar-connector.

Should I develop a connector?
And should the connector be maintained in the pulsar main repo ?

IMO, if we dicided to develop a pulsar-io-connector, it's more reasonable
to maintain it in the pulsar main repo. (At least, the
pulsar-io-kafka-connector is in main repo)

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks
ZhangJian He

Re: [DISCUSS] Add Pulsar io Pulsar connector

Posted by Lan Liang <li...@163.com>.
Actually,  we really have same case in production.

We have not use pulsar function or pulsar io, just implemented it from ourself code.

Best Regards,
Lan Liang
On 11/18/2021 04:22,Neng Lu<nl...@apache.org> wrote:
@sijie the case here might be tricky. They may want to move data across
pulsar clusters operated by different org or teams.

Remember we previously added the ability to send messages to external
pulsar clusters for pulsar function but got reverted. I think this is the
case they are trying to tackle.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:29 AM Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't think you need a separate connector.

An identity function should be able to do the job for you.

- Sijie

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Neng Lu <nl...@apache.org> wrote:

Just did a quick search, it's interesting we don't have a pulsar
connector
to move data among pulsar clusters.
I guess people usually write their own pulsar client to move data around.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM ZhangJian He <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, move data across different pulsar clusters which belongs to
different
company or organization

Thanks
ZhangJian He

Neng Lu <nl...@apache.org> 于2021年11月16日周二 上午2:50写道:

Hi,

What's your new connector used for in the customer use cases?
A `pulsar-io-kafak-connector` is used for moving data between kafka
and
pulsar.
But in your case, a `pulsar-io-pulsar-connector`, do you mean you
want
move data across different pulsar clusters?

Posted by Neng Lu <nl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neng Lu <nl...@apache.org>.

Posted by ZhangJian He <sh...@gmail.com>.