Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "C.Hauser - IT assistance GmbH" <c....@itassistance.ch> on 2002/01/15 17:25:08 UTC

Re[2]: mod_perl beginners list

I was/am a mod_perl newbie - the basic struggle was not the concept of
mod_perl itself but more the templating systems and reusable codes, the
modules, especially the Apache::*.

After I made a decision on the templating system, I try to address
output relevant questions into the list of the templating system.

On the other hand, as I quit using standard cgi, I want to post
application relevant questions to people using the same environment.
"Which module is better?", "How do you solved this?".

As I'm an experienced Perl programmer I would have chosen the
standard list, not the beginner. This might be different, if I would
have recently started Perl coming from PHP, VBS or nowhere, I would have
choosen mod_perl as it is said to be the serious way to build
stable and professional web services.

So I would mix two problems, the Perl and the Apache (or even DBI)
relevant ones. Maybe it might be OK to have a list for Perl and
mod_perl beginner ... just a thought.

BR Christian

========== beginn original ==========
Date: Dienstag, 15. Januar 2002, 16:32:58
Subject: mod_perl beginners list

I'm very interested in developing a strategy to lower the entry bar to build
mod_perl-based apps. I have done a lot of work to this end and shall be
doing
more. I would love to band together with others to actually deliver
something!

Posted by Bill Moseley <mo...@hank.org>.
At 07:02 PM 01/15/02 +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
>> The mod_perl list is fantastic.  Maybe because it hasn't had explosive
>> growth (has it?) that has made it such a nice neighborhood.
>
>According to Ask, there are more people on this list than on any other
>perl mailing list period [1].

Well, then, we have such nice neighbors I didn't even notice the
neighborhood change!

>> Getting back to this message:  This list is really good with off topic
>> questions, in general.  I know there's IRC, but I'd like a list that's more
>> of a pub or cafe-style where mod_perl people hang out.  A good place for
>> somewhat OT questions that a mod_perl programmer might have, but might also
>> not be directly mod_perl related.  A place to ask "I'm thinking of doing it
>> this way, anyone see a better way before I waste my time on it?" kind of
>> question.
>
>Is there a reason, asside from impedance, that we can't discuss those
>things here? Or do you mean general perl stuff as well as mod_perl? How
>about perlmonks or we could set up a web based bulletin board on
>take23.org if you wanted...

Yes.  I always have questions that I would not ask on the list because they
are to OT, but also I know that mod_perl people would have done something
similar.  On-line BOF, I guess.  OTOH, people might miss out a lot of
useful ideas if there was a separate list.

This is a dangerous statement, so I'll say *my* opinion about perl monks
and other bulletin boards (non-email based lists) is that it's too hard
(for me) to check them.  Email lists are great (for me) because I see when
something comes in.

I also know some people love IRC, but it's kind of the same issue for me.
Email lists are the right mix.  I don't mind my wife walking in the office
to tell me something once in a while, but having her stand there and talk
all day, well...

>[1] Actually that may have been overtaken now by the perl-beginners list.

Is that a reason to not do a modperl-beginners list? ;)

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org

Re: Re[2]: mod_perl beginners list

Posted by Thomas Eibner <th...@stderr.net>.
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:03:41AM -0800, brian moseley wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > I know there's IRC, but I'd like a list that's more of a
> > pub or cafe-style where mod_perl people hang out.  A
> > good place for somewhat OT questions that a mod_perl
> > programmer might have, but might also not be directly
> > mod_perl related.  A place to ask "I'm thinking of doing
> > it this way, anyone see a better way before I waste my
> > time on it?" kind of question.
>
> fwiw, #modperl is actually really good for this.

I second that. It was actually what I thought of when I heard the
description of what Bill wanted. It doesn't get more pub/cafe/casual
style than IRC.

Again: #modperl on irc.rhizomatic.net

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>

Re: Re[2]: mod_perl beginners list

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 05:25 PM 01/15/02 +0100, C.Hauser - IT assistance GmbH wrote:
> >On the other hand, as I quit using standard cgi, I want to post
> >application relevant questions to people using the same environment.
> >"Which module is better?", "How do you solved this?".
>
> Yes!
>
> The mod_perl list is fantastic.  Maybe because it hasn't had explosive
> growth (has it?) that has made it such a nice neighborhood.

According to Ask, there are more people on this list than on any other
perl mailing list period [1].

> I feel newbies are welcome on this list, and deserve help form the
> experts as most of the experts probably can think of great help they
> got when first starting out.
>
> What I think would help is if the ezmlm welcome message offered a mod_perl
> tutorial (or link to one) that should be reviewed before posting:
>
> What mod_perl is, how to build mod_perl, how to run an Apache::Registry
> script, how to make a hello world handler, and how to debug and where (and
> what) to ask on the mod_perl list.

I'd actually like to see more (any?) of these type of things written up,
and mailed to me so they can go on Take23.org. I just haven't seen anyone
wanting to write that stuff. I'd certainly welcome something from an
unknown name, and I'd be willing to edit it and correct any mistakes for
whoever.

> Getting back to this message:  This list is really good with off topic
> questions, in general.  I know there's IRC, but I'd like a list that's more
> of a pub or cafe-style where mod_perl people hang out.  A good place for
> somewhat OT questions that a mod_perl programmer might have, but might also
> not be directly mod_perl related.  A place to ask "I'm thinking of doing it
> this way, anyone see a better way before I waste my time on it?" kind of
> question.
>
> Or does such a list already exist?

Is there a reason, asside from impedance, that we can't discuss those
things here? Or do you mean general perl stuff as well as mod_perl? How
about perlmonks or we could set up a web based bulletin board on
take23.org if you wanted...

[1] Actually that may have been overtaken now by the perl-beginners list.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->Get a smart net</:->

Re: Re[2]: mod_perl beginners list