Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@t-online.de> on 2005/12/14 21:30:23 UTC

[RESULT] Release Configuration 1.2

The Commons community has voted to release version 1.2 of Commons
Configuration.

Here are the detailed (binding) results of the vote process:
+1:
  Emmanuel Bourg, Dion Gillard, Phil Steitz, Oliver Heger
+0:
  Jörg Schaible
-1:
  none

I will cut the release in the next few days.

Oliver

Re: [RESULT] Release Configuration 1.2

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 07:44 +0100, Oliver Heger wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I somehow had the impression that committers' votes were binding. Will
> have a deeper look at the charter.

this is an ASF wide rule so it's covered by the final clause (21). AIUI
the theory goes something like this:

it's not possible for the ASF to give committers a legal standing within
the ASF and so only those with legal standing can cast votes which are
binding on the ASF. there are only a certain possible number of ways for
people to have legal standing. one these way is by being membership of
an official committee. which is one reason why projects have pmc's. so,
for all official votes (and in particular releases) those committers who
are not pmc members cannot cast binding VOTEs.

there are a couple of corollaries;

1. it's important that the transition from committer to pmc'er is a
nature step and which happens relatively quickly. anyone who has proved
that can be trusted to commit should be worthy of a VOTE. certainly,
anyone who is capable of release management should be on the pmc. this
is a cultural problem in jakarta dating from the days when the pmc was
elected. i'd like to encourage existing pmc'er to start nominating
committers: it's not healthy for a few people to do most of the
nomination. i see nominating someone as a pmc'er as the end of a process
which starts with proposal someone as a committer and then helping them
through the first weeks at jakarta.

2. we all need to make bigger efforts to work together in the future
especially for official stuff like releases

- robert

Re: [RESULT] Release Configuration 1.2

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
No worries. It's probably obvious to others that I'm using you as an
example :)

The need for PMC as opposed to committer votes was something that we've
only become increasingly aware of over the last year or so and the charter
doesn't reflect that. Now you've pointed it out, updating that is on my
todo list.

Thanks,

Hen

Posted by Oliver Heger <he...@med.uni-marburg.de>.