Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/24 18:20:36 UTC

[Website] Why still so many .md files outside Antora?

Admittedly I’m biased in favor of Antora :-)

Looking quickly at the parts of the site with source in camel-website, it looks to me as if most of the content could be converted to asciidoc rather easily and put into an Antora component.  Probably some more page layouts would be needed.

The part I see that would not be easy to convert right now is the blog, although I have a future solution in mind for that based on
yuzutech/blog.yuzutech.fr: Code, content and configuration for blog.yuzutech.fr <https://github.com/yuzutech/blog.yuzutech.fr>

Is there a reason the current arrangement is better than an Antora-based one?

Thanks
David Jencks

Re: [Website] Why still so many .md files outside Antora?

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi David,
when we started with the new website we needed a solution to publish
the documentation but also to publish different website content, like
blog, downloads/releases.

We started on the new website effort, couple of years back, we started
with a GitBook, then switched to Jekyll with asciidoc files, this
proved to be too limited we had performance issues it was difficult to
structure content.

Comparatively we're not using any feature of asciidoc in the
non-documentation part of the website, so I don't see a reason to
switch from Markdown/Hugo to asciidoc/something else. I don't think
Antora is a good tool for generic website development and I think it
should be used only for the documentation part of the website.

I'd say that the current setup works quite well, we can easily
preview/live reload changes locally. The only downside is that we have
two sets of layouts that need to be in sync, though that I don't see
as such a big issue. It would be a much bigger issue if we decided to
have two sets of CSS files rather than one used across both types of
content.

zoran

--
Zoran Regvart