Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org> on 2008/09/17 18:01:33 UTC

[T5] DEBUG level logging in pages/components

Hi,

While debugging with Tapestry5, I noticed one not-so-nice issue. But
first, a bit of background.

I usually configure my logging framework (log4j) to log all statements
for my application at debug level during development. E.g. all log
records logged to "com.mycompany.myapp" logging category get printed at
DEBUG level. All other categories are usually at INFO level. This allows
me to focus on the log statements that I have written and ignore all the
verbose DEBUG logs of 3rd party libraries.

Back to Tapestry5. I have configured by log4j as usual (my stuff at
DEBUG level, everything else at INFO level). Although I expect to see
only the log output produced by MY CODE, I also see some debug output
produced by Tapestry internals. Seems that Tapestry class enhancement
code logs to the same log category as the class name being enhanced. And
the log statements are quite big (documenting the changes being made to
the original classes), resulting in lots of unwanted noise in my logs.

Example:
I have a page: com.mycompany.myapp.pages.MyPage
T5 class enhancement code logs its bytecode manipulation operations to
log category "com.mycompany.myapp.pages.MyPage", at DEBUG level.

This is not very nice, as I'm totally uninterested in seeing all this
verbose T5-internal logging.

I understand that it might be beneficial to have that class name as part
of the logging category (or maybe not), but at the very least, I would
recommend to add a T5 prefix to all those categories. The log category
in above example would then become something like
"org.apache.tapestry.classenhance.com.mycompany.myapp.pages.MyPage".

What do you think?
Something like this already planned? Or should I add it to JIRA?

Rgds,
Neeme

Re: [T5] DEBUG level logging in pages/components

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.
Added:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-2684

Rgds,