Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Haenni, Tia" <th...@burnsmcd.com> on 2012/05/11 22:03:29 UTC

maxParameterCount with Tomcat 5.5.23

A recent RHEL patch supplied the following Tomcat packages which attempt to address a possible DoS attack as outlines at the link below:

tomcat5-jasper-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-server-lib-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-jsp-2.0-api-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-admin-webapps-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-common-lib-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-webapps-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8
tomcat5-5.5.23-0jpp.31.el5_8

http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2012-0474.html

Since then I've encountered a problem with exceeding the maxParameterCount which seems to default at 512:

May 4, 2012 2:30:27 PM org.apache.catalina.connector.Request parseParameters
WARNING: Exception thrown whilst processing POSTed parameters
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Parameter count exceeded allowed maximum: 512
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.addParam(Parameters.java:331)
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.processParameters(Parameters.java:407)
                at org.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.processParameters(Parameters.java:358)
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.parseParameters(Request.java:2400)
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.getParameterValues(Request.java:1063)
                at org.apache.catalina.connector.RequestFacade.getParameterValues(RequestFacade.java:394).........

I do not need it to be the old default of 10000 and I don't think I want to set it to unlimited (-1) but I do need more than 512 for the application I am supporting.

Does anyone know how to tweak the maxParameterCount in a standalone Tomcat listening on 8080, requests are sent via Apache listening on 80?

This is not Tomcat as supplied with JBoss, so a fix such as that detailed at the link below I do not think will work:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/JBoss_Communications_Platform/5.1/html/5.1.3_Release_Notes/ar01s05.html

Thanks in advance!

RE: maxParameterCount with Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by "Haenni, Tia" <th...@burnsmcd.com>.
Konstantin,

I am aware of the EOL for 5.5. We plan to upgrade to 6.x (whatever version RH decides to bestow upon us)

Thanks!

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Haenni, Tia" <th...@burnsmcd.com>.
For my Red Hat delivered Tomcat, changes to the connector attribute were ignored. However, I did find a fix that works.

In tomcat5.conf, after all other settings are added to JAVA_OPTS, add the value you desire for max parameter count like this:

# RH KB 100383
# Override default max parameter count of 512
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dorg.apache.tomcat.util.http.Parameters.MAX_COUNT=10000"

The Red Hat KB article references JBoss run script, but the above works fine for standalone Tomcat.

> I read some posts where it was apparently ignored and the default used
> instead.

It would be interesting to know who's publishing such garbage.

> Can you confirm that setting maxParameterCount in the connector
> attribute will override the default?

Not on a Tomcat mangled by Red Hat - you're on your own with that.  If you use a real Tomcat, it will certainly work.

- Chuck

RE: maxParameterCount with Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Haenni, Tia" <th...@burnsmcd.com>.
Chuck,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, due to some company policies on supporting packages as supplied by Red Hat, I am stuck with 5.5.23 for now.

I've read the docs and I am aware of the setting for maxParameterCount, which is not set at all in my Tomcat. What I don't know is if it will be honored. I read some posts where it was apparently ignored and the default used instead.

Can you confirm that setting maxParameterCount in the connector attribute will override the default?

Thanks.

> A recent RHEL patch supplied the following Tomcat packages

Note that 5.5.23 is over five years old...  You might want to consider installing a real Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org instead of a 3rd-party mangled, horribly out-of-date version.  There are many more serious problems fixed in current levels.

> Since then I've encountered a problem with exceeding the
> maxParameterCount which seems to default at 512:

That's not the default in a standard Tomcat.  Congratulate Red Hat on breaking things.

> Does anyone know how to tweak the maxParameterCount

Read the docs:

 - Chuck

RE: maxParameterCount with Tomcat 5.5.23

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.