Posted to user@poi.apache.org by carl sandburg <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2013/06/12 22:35:47 UTC

problem running on the mainframe

Has anybody tried running a java program that uses POI on a mainframe in
batch under UNIX System Services?  We are having a problem creating a
"large" spreadsheet - about 130k rows - the job goes well for about 30k
records, then starts swapping out, then dies with "out of memory".

we've used java/POI many times in the past to create smaller spreadsheets.
no problem.

memory is set about as high as it will go:

IJO="-Xms16m -Xmx1500m"

any suggestions?

thanks

Re: problem running on the mainframe

Posted by "C.Y. CHEN" <ic...@gmail.com>.
1. You can try jconsole (Java Monitoring & Management Console), part of
your JDK installation located in the bin folder.
2. Once launched, whether local or remote from your mainframe, you can
select to connect to your POI JVM.
3. Monitor and see what is going on to the heap usage.

Which version of Java is used in mainframe?
How much physical RAM is available to your mainframe?

Posted by Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk>.
On 12/06/2013 21:35, carl sandburg wrote:
> Has anybody tried running a java program that uses POI on a mainframe in
> batch under UNIX System Services?  We are having a problem creating a
> "large" spreadsheet - about 130k rows - the job goes well for about 30k
> records, then starts swapping out, then dies with "out of memory".
>
> we've used java/POI many times in the past to create smaller spreadsheets.
> no problem.
>
> memory is set about as high as it will go:
>
> IJO="-Xms16m -Xmx1500m"
>

> any suggestions?
>
> thanks

POI uses a lot of memory for building XSSF workbooks.
Are you able to use the SXSSF API instead?
In my experience this not only uses less memory, but (presumably as a
result of using less memory) also goes quite a bit faster.

Jim