Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au> on 2005/08/24 09:24:27 UTC

Fwd: Publication specific page meta-data

Didn't get any interest in this on lenya-user, wondering if dev is a more
appropriate place to discuss it?

Michael

Subject: Publication specific page meta-data
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:16 pm
From: Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au>
To: user@lenya.apache.org

Hi

I'd like to add some custom meta data to my pages created in lenya. My idea
 is to create a library of advertisements or some other small html element
 which i then associate with a specific page via the metadata. The
 advertisement is the included into the page via the aggregating pipeline
 which adds navigation etc to the page. Then the xslt puts the advertisement
 on the right place on the page.

Another idea I have is to create an image gallery component for a page. Eg,
cms text/images on the left, then on the right have images which are declared
as assets but with an additional tag which says they are part of an image
gallery.

I'd like to make my own namespace for the metadata, eg custom:ad, i've read
through the dublincore java classes, pagenvelope and document classes and I
figure i'll need to implement my own custom class in a similar manner to
these.

Anyone done anything similar and can share their experience?

Michael

Re: Fwd: Publication specific page meta-data

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Ralston wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 05:29 pm, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>1.4 supports custom meta data, in 1.2 you'll have to add them to your
>>doctype and edit them through a custom usecase or through one of the
>>editors (BXE or Forms Editor).
>>

> I was going to make a custom usecase anyway, so that is no problem.
>
> Are you saying that if I make a doctype that includes the xhtml doctype, then
> I can declare additional data in the <head>...</head> portion of the
> document, and BXE/Kupu won't throw that away when used to edit the content of
> the document?

I'd rather add the elements outside the <head> section, e.g.

   <lenya:meta> ... </lenya:meta>

   <foo:meta>
     <foo:keywords> ... </foo:keywords>
   </foo:meta>

   <head> ...

You have to add the declarations to the Relax NG.

I'm not sure about Kupu, but if you add the appropriate CSS you
can edit your meta data with BXE.

> Then I can edit those addition head contents with my own usecase right?

Yes.

> Would it be possible to backport the custom metadata to 1.2? I require the
> stability of 1.2 for my application.

That would probably require massive changes to the codebase.
I wouldn't recommend it, since you don't get much benefit from
having it in the Lenya core.

-- Andreas

Re: Fwd: Publication specific page meta-data

Posted by Michael Ralston <mi...@ralston.id.au>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Ralston wrote:
> Didn't get any interest in this on lenya-user, wondering if dev is a more
> appropriate place to discuss it?

No, the user list is fine.

I guess the problem is that the anwer is "That's not possible with 1.2"
and nobody wanted to admit this :)