Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by "Terry P." <te...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/08 21:43:10 UTC

New cluster shows IP addresses instead of Hostnames on Accumulo Monitor

Greetings folks,
I've just stood up a new Accumulo 1.4.2 cluster on a customer's
infrastructure where they are providing all core services such as DNS, NTP,
etc.

After starting the cluster for the first time and checking the monitor, I
find that all the Tablet Servers appear in the Server column as IP
addresses, not as hostnames, even though all configuration has been done
using hostnames only and DNS is in place and functioning.  No servers have
a custom /etc/hosts file with all hosts in it; all names are being resolved
via DNS.

The very same base machine template works fine in another environment, so
I'm concerned it's something beyond my control (as in DNS core services
provided by the site).

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

- Terry

Re: New cluster shows IP addresses instead of Hostnames on Accumulo Monitor

Posted by "Terry P." <te...@gmail.com>.
Nope, grrrr.  I'm going to get the kickstart spec for our "minimized base"
changed right NOW to include host, dig, and nslookup!

Good news is I got on the horn with the SysAdmin and looked at the console
with him and found he had copied a zone file from the Test String and had a
server name incorrect in the Ops String.  So good news is Test worked fine,
bad news is I need to re-init Accumulo on Ops (but no biggie).

Alex thanks for your help. My gut said it was reverse DNS lookup, but when
I asked I was told "it's all there."  Fixed now, thanks again!

Posted by Alex Moundalexis <al...@cloudera.com>.

--
Alex Moundalexis
Solutions Engineer

Re: New cluster shows IP addresses instead of Hostnames on Accumulo Monitor

Posted by "Terry P." <te...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Alex Moundalexis <al...@cloudera.com>.