Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Qingtian Wang <qi...@evergreenelite.com> on 2020/02/27 15:56:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft release schedule

This may touch some nerves, but just a quick comment from long time and grateful NetBeans user:

1. Frequent and time-based releases directly from master branch is the way to go! If a feature doesn't fit the release, code "feature toggles" and shoot for the next release.

2. Forget LTS releases - A release is a release is a release. If this release is not to your liking, download the previous one you like, or better yet contribute the change you like to the next release.

3. Forget NetCAT - every developer herself and every end user is responsible and contributing for testing and quality.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> They want the latest and great release that "works", and don't care about a once a year LTS release no matter how stable it is.

I agree with this angle. I don't actually remember / know why an LTS
was picked... but the NetCAT angle seems practical in a way.

If users want to be on the bleeding edge they can always pick another
'release channel' and NetBeans could push beta/dev/canary updates
there.

Users stick on a fixed version for various reasons, not only because
they need LTS assurances. As soon as something breaks or needs too
much work for a new release some users will just stick with the last
known version where their project worked.

What would help is NetBeans being a rolling release. Upgrading from
one release to another should be easier.

--emi

Posted by Qingtian Wang <qi...@evergreenelite.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Qingtian Wang <qi...@evergreenelite.com>.
I guess the point of discussion here is "how fast" we want to go when it comes to releases. My two cents as an end user is: Daily build is too fast (for me, because too many things might be broken); LTS releases have little meaning (again for me) if that means any slow down of the progress.

As a contractor I worked for tens of clients/companies. My observation is that unlike OS or JDK which is often tied to entire organizations, IDEs are personal. The company would always talk about LTS release for JDK/OS, but I have not heard any company or developer talk about LTS on IDEs - be it Eclipse, InjelliJ, NetBeans... People move on to the next release as soon as they can, be that a LTS or not.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Well,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.