Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "jlp.petit" <jl...@free.fr> on 2003/12/18 20:06:47 UTC

Large SVG image displaying with a JSVGCanvas.

Hello,

I would like to know how to manage the display of a large SVG file, a world map for example.
My application has cartographic functionnalities such as a zoom. So I need a large SVG map file.
Is it possible to load only a part of a large SVG map file with a standard Batik API in a JSVGCanvas or is it required to make some extra developpement ?

Is it better to have a large SVG map or a to have many small SVG map files to avoid too much memory use ?

I would very appreciate if some one who has been faced to the same problem could answer me.

Currently I have a world map ; the SVG file is about 150 ko and my application based on Batik works quiet fine. But the map has not enough details.

Best Regards

Jean-Luc Petit

Re: Large SVG image displaying with a JSVGCanvas.

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
jlp.petit wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know how to manage the display of a large SVG file, a
> world map for example.
> My application has cartographic functionnalities such as a zoom. So I
> need a large SVG map file.
> Is it possible to load only a part of a large SVG map file with a
> standard Batik API in a JSVGCanvas or is it required to make some extra
> developpement ?

    Take a look at samples/extensions/multi.svg and
samples/extensions/opera/opera-subImage.svg

> Is it better to have a large SVG map or a to have many small SVG map
> files to avoid too much memory use ?

    It is probably better to have a number of smaller SVG files.
The examples take this a bit too the extreme but they should give
you the idea.

Posted by "G. Wade Johnson" <gw...@anomaly.org>.
I have displayed a 10MB SVG file before with Batik. It did require
setting more heap memory and it took a long time to load (around
1 minute on ~2GHz machine). But, it could be done.

I was able to speed this up quite a bit with modifications to the
original SVG.

G. Wade

--
A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing.                                      -- Alan Perlis