Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Guido Ostkamp <su...@ostkamp.fastmail.fm> on 2004/08/08 21:12:46 UTC

[BOOK] Wrong usage of 'svn import' command

Hello Subversion book authors,

I used subversion 1.0.6 for the very first time today and tried your book
as primer.

However, when I wanted to 'svn import' a local directory structure I found
lots of examples for this command to be inaccurate - it doesn't work as
described, you get an error instead. I don't know whether this is caused
by a recent change in the command syntax.

The incorrect examples are given at these locations:

   1. Introduction
     A Quick Start

     $ svn import /tmp/project file:///path/to/repos -m "initial import"
   3. Guided Tour
      svn import
      $ svn import mytree file:///usr/local/svn/newrepos/some/project
   9. Subversion Complete Reference
     The Subversion Command Line Client: svn
       svn Subcommands
         svn import

The command 'man svn' says

   import Repository-URL   [Path]   [New-Repository-Entry]
     [--username  name]  [--password  pass]   [--no-auth-cache]
     [--encoding] [-FmqN]
     Import a file or tree into the repository.

which means that the 'repository-URL' is the first, not the second
argument.

Would you please fix the book?

Thank you.

BTW: I am not subscribed to the list, so if anyone wants to reply, please
send directly to the From-address.

Best regards,

Guido

Re: [BOOK] Wrong usage of 'svn import' command

Posted by Mark Benedetto King <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:12:46PM +0200, Guido Ostkamp wrote:

> Hello Subversion book authors,
>
> I used subversion 1.0.6 for the very first time today and tried your book
> as primer.
>
> However, when I wanted to 'svn import' a local directory structure I found
> lots of examples for this command to be inaccurate - it doesn't work as
> described, you get an error instead. I don't know whether this is caused
> by a recent change in the command syntax.

There was a change, but it wasn't recent: version 0.25.0 introduced
the change (see CHANGES), over a year ago.

> The incorrect examples are given at these locations:
>
>   1. Introduction
>     A Quick Start
>
>     $ svn import /tmp/project file:///path/to/repos -m "initial import"
>   3. Guided Tour
>      svn import
>      $ svn import mytree file:///usr/local/svn/newrepos/some/project
>   9. Subversion Complete Reference
>     The Subversion Command Line Client: svn
>       svn Subcommands
>         svn import

These examples are all correct.  What errors were you getting?

> The command 'man svn' says
>
>   import Repository-URL   [Path]   [New-Repository-Entry]
>     [--username  name]  [--password  pass]   [--no-auth-cache]
>     [--encoding] [-FmqN]
>     Import a file or tree into the repository.
>
> which means that the 'repository-URL' is the first, not the second
> argument.

You are looking at a very old version of the svn man page.  It hasn't
said that since 2003-10-07.

> Would you please fix the book?
>
> Thank you.

The book is correct, your man page it out of date.

--ben

Re: [BOOK] Wrong usage of 'svn import' command

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.
Guido Ostkamp wrote:
> After removal, it now works as described in the book.
>
> Unfortunately I am no longer able to access the old repository :-(

Well, now you need to dump/reload your repository.  See "Migrating a
Repository" in the book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch05s03.html#svn-ch-5-sect-3.5

Hope that helps,
François

Re: [BOOK] Wrong usage of 'svn import' command

Posted by Guido Ostkamp <su...@ostkamp.fastmail.fm>.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> The man page for svn says to run 'svn help' or look at the book.  And
> thy syntax in the book is absolutely correct.
>
> You must not be using svn 1.0.6, but a version of subversion 0.25.0 or
> earlier;  that's the version in which the import syntax switched from
> 'import URL path' to 'import path URL'.  That change happened more than
> a year ago.

Oops, I apologize. I had installed svn 1.0.6 from RPM which went into
/usr/bin, but at the same time had older stuff (which I never got really
working) in /usr/local/bin which had priority in my PATH.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.